Chapter 7: This is awkward

Jade Aurora Lokidotter

Steve looked very pale and ready to fall over at my beautifully dramatic entrance. I fold my hands in front of me as I stand in the rubble, my signature smirk dawning my lips. "This is just awkward guys. Work with me here. A dead woman just busted through your roof and you are just gawking at me. Bloody hell, maybe I should take over the world. Tuesday works for me, anyone else?"

Colonel Rhodes spoke up, his face mask to his suit lifted "If I'm not mistaken you had half a magazine unloaded into your body. How the hell are you alive?"

I rock on my heels, loving to toy with them all. It's what I lived for. "That is an interesting question that has an interesting answer. But the interesting answer is really long, sciency and technical. So long story short, a miracle drug brought me back, I've been recovering on a plane for over two months, I just busted through your roof from a plane because I was bored off my ass."

There was another silence, which I used to observe Steve. If possible he had gotten more muscular. His hair was still spiked half heartedly. His beautiful blue eyes were locked in on me, in complete and utter shock.

"Every time I come back your ass is covered in even tighter spandex." I chuckle, more than amused.

I look around that the team additions again. "Well shit. I die, a war breaks out, you guys created a villain and a hero, you recruited new heroes, the world almost ended and everybody got new uniforms. Good thing I'm sticking around this time."

Steve was still speechless. I noticed his eyes flickered down to my stomach, where I had been shot. You could see the bullet hole scars clear as day.

I shifted awkwardly, not knowing what to say "I should've come out of hiding sooner. I could've tried harder," Steve marched towards me, I was unsure of his objective so I continued rambling. "I could've been there for your birthday like I wanted to-" he was now only an arms length away from me. So close I could touch him as I had longed to ever since I was revived. It briefly flashed through my mind.

Flashback

There was searing pain in my stomach, like I had been stabbed with a white hot pole multiple times. But just mere moments ago I had felt no pain. Everything was dark and cold. I had felt as if I was floating. But now I felt weighted down, heavy and burdened. I could feel nothing but pain. Something that wasn't supposed to be there surged through my veins. My body twitched, as if deciding to accept this new found inhabitant. Suddenly I felt more alive than ever. My eyes opened for the first time in what seemed an eternity. I saw light, the silhouettes of six people above me. I couldn't make out the faces as my eyes began to come to a close again. I managed to whisper "Steve..." before I fell into a deep sleep.

Flashback over

But he surprised me when he grabbed my waist and did something even more surprising. He kissed me in front of everyone. I melted against his lips, my hands resting on his chest. Steves kiss was demanding and his grip on me gentle as a breeze.

When he finally broke the kiss, panting he rested his forehead on mine and said "Don't you ever leave me again like that. Do you understand?" I chuckle, loving it when he gave orders. "Aye aye Captain."

He kissed me again shortly before arms engulfed me in a huge hug. I smile into his chest as I ask "I assume I'm in big trouble?" Steve strokes my hair as he replies "Oh you aren't leaving my apartment. You died, came back and scared the shit out of me, broke our roof and made fun of my spandex." Steves fingers brushed against my cheek, his eyes searching mine for any sign that I wasn't really here. "You died right in front of me, you can't do something like that to me again."

I felt nothing but guilt in my chest. I tap my finger on his chest as I promised "I've had my fair share. I promise I won't die again until I'm an old prune." Steve saw the necklace hanging from my neck and his breathing faltered. The three metallic bullets engraved with my faults.

"A wise man once said if they hurt you, hurt them back. If you get killed, walk it off." I said coyly. Steve looked more than confused about this whole situation. "How did you know I said that? Actually, can we start off with why you aren't dead?"

I nod, patting his chest "Yes. I would want to know too if I had been talking to an empty grave for almost three months."