March 6, 1996 - The Scene Where Mike Interrupts Them In Aremid

"Nobody's ever done that, my whole life. Nobody..."

Sitting at Marlena's bedside, John watched her sleep. She was beautiful. The slope of her nose, the curve of her neck, and her lips. He would never tire of staring at her, and yet, he'd held himself back for years. He knew, if he looked at her for too long, if he watched her body as she crossed a room, if he stared at her lips when he spoke to her, people would know...his love for her wasn't over. Their affair had destroyed her family, and the fall-out that followed had led to her being vulnerable to possession. John had sworn to himself that he would keep his feelings to himself, and maintain the emotional distance necessary to stay in her life, without ruining her life. Yet, he found himself here, sitting beside her, so desperately in love with her, he thought it might consume him.

Marlena had been by his side since late November, when Tony had shot himself, and framed John for it. Only a select few had maintained his innocence, while the rest of the world had condemned him, including Kristen. A love he had felt was strong, had turned out to be made of tissue paper that disintegrated as soon as a flame was applied.

Marlena's love for him, whatever form that came in, had proven to be the same, sure, steadfast, connection they had always had. John had realized, when he thought he was going to die, that Marlena was, and always had been, the one true love of his life. Even his love for Isabella didn't compare.

He felt like he had been watching her for hours, when she finally started to stir in the bed. Relief coursed through him. John found himself moving the chair to the side, and kneeling beside her on the floor. "Whatever it is you need, Doc, I'm right here," he whispered. He couldn't help but touch her, brushing his fingers over her blonde hair as it lay across her shoulder.

She moaned softly, turning her head towards him, and he touched her face, lightly tracing his fingers along her jaw. "John?" she whispered. When their eyes met, it was like the connection of two souls lost to each other for hundreds of years. Marlena was surprised to find him by her side, and yet not surprised at all. She felt his soft palm against her skin and he linked his hand with her, pulling it up to his mouth, kissing her gently. He'd been crying, she could tell, and the relief on his face was evident. "John?"

He started laughing softly, and the tears fell freely again, as he kissed her fingers. "You know, I was so afraid that I was never going to hear your voice again."

Marlena reached for him, cupping his face, as he held her hand against him. He couldn't let her go, he needed to feel her, touch her, and remind himself that she wasn't gone. She was alive. She hadn't left him. The adrenaline and the fear still coursed through his body, and he was fighting to keep himself grounded. She was there, in front of him, and she was alive.

Staring at him in wonder, she ran her palm over his mouth shakily, crying her own tears of relief. Relief that she was alive...relief that John was alive, since Stefano had told her John had been executed. The last thing she remembered as going underneath the water. It had been freezing, pinpricks of needle cold ice lashing her skin, and yet, she found herself warm, and safe, with John next to her. "I'm so glad you're alive," she whispered.

John cupped her hand against her face, and he whispered, "You know, I don't think I ever fully realized how much you mean to me, before tonight. You risked everything for me, lady." He stared into her eyes, gorgeous hazel eyes that held a lifetime of love, and he said, "Nobodies ever done that, my whole life. Nobody."

She couldn't speak, she was so overwhelmed with love. Wiping tears from her eyes with the back of her hand, she was barely able to whisper back, "I'm so glad you're alive."

Desperate to be closer, John moved towards her, his face mere inches away, and he said, "I thank G-d for saving you." He climbed into bed with her, gently rubbing his face alongside hers, and touching her jaw with a featherlight touch.