May 17, 1996 - John Tries to Stop Marlena From Moving Out of the DiMera Mansion

"Well...she's just terribly sweet."

Kristen was in Rachel's room with Peter, trying to reconnect with the mother she thought was dead. John decided to go looking for Marlena. He needed to thank her for everything she had done today. Helping them unravel the mystery of the Woman in White...and being with him while he was under the effects of the drug. He had felt her presence next to him nearly the whole time. As he approached Marlena's bedroom door, intent to knock, he noticed that it was already slightly ajar. He poked his head in, intending to announce himself, when he noticed the open luggage on the bed, and the folded clothes in her hands. Her expression was one of sadness and defeat, but he didn't understand why. John said, "What are you doing, Doc?"

Marlena seemed startled, "Oh! John."

He entered the room, closing the door softly behind him, and asked her again, "What are you doing? Why are you packing?" John approached her open luggage at the end of her bed, peering inside briefly, and then looking at Marlena, waiting for her answer. She had her back to him, but when she turned around she looked guilty. She looked caught.

Marlena had hoped to pack and be gone while John was distracted, but he'd managed to find her in the midst of packing. She knew he was going to fight her on this. He was going to beg her to stay, but watching him with Kristen was breaking her heart. "Well, I-I-I'm packing because I'm, uh, I'm going home. It's time for me to be there, and it's perfectly safe at the penthouse," she says as she continues packing. "The alarm system is working, and there's been not a sign of Stefano." John is too close. His scent is pervading her mind. Marlena walks away to get a sweater she has folded across the room, and John follows her frantically. Still too close.

"Oh, stop it, Doc! You know Stefano! He's not going to give up on you! He will be back!" This can't be happening. John can't understand why Marlena would decide to go now, when it seems to be most dangerous.

"Well...perhaps, but the FBI is looking for him, and the Salem PD, so, if he comes back, it won't be for a very long time," she says with forced courage, walking away from John and back towards the bed where her luggage is located.

Approaching her from behind, John says, "I don't want you back in the penthouse. I don't want Belle there, either."

"I've got to be back in my own place," she says, still refusing to face him.

John watches as she starts to walk away from him, and he reaches for her in desperation. His hand grips her upper arm, spinning her body to face him, as he says, "I'll tell you what. You stay right here, until Stefano makes a move, then I'll nail him, alright—"

"I can't hide forever!" Marlena responds in frustration. She can't hide forever, but she also can't continue to live with John and Kristen. The look on John's face has her wanting to change her mind, and she can't. She can't continue to stay there and watch John go into Kristen's bedroom every night. She can't continue to run into him in the mornings, after his morning jog, and want to run her hands over his glistening chest. She can't. She turns away from him, because she's so afraid he'll see what's in her heart. She's afraid she'll say what's in her heart.

"Well, Doc, listen, if you go back to the penthouse, I can't protect you there!" John said, raising his voice in exasperation.

"You can't always protect me anyway," she says, picking up a lace nightgown and folding it carefully.

John watched her for a moment, the way her delicate fingers slid over the lace bodice softly, and then he said emphatically, "I can, because I want to...please?"

John's plea sent thrills through her body, and only made her love him more, if that were possible. She turned to face him slowly, with her nightgown still clutched in her fingers, and she smiled at him gently, "I know you do." His pleas don't change her mind though, she knows she has to go, because staying hurts her too much. Just before she walks towards her luggage she whispers softly, "It's better this way."