LOST BOY: shifting

[remy,18]

[remy,18]

•••

[remy]
The only reason I'm not getting the shot is that it's not my choice. It's the only thing that makes sense. I just wanted to know how much it would cost. I couldn't spare that much. Apologize to that nigga in public for getting my lick back? Hell nawl. So in turn, I won't be getting picked up by Montanago. The truth is, that school was top of my list— number one. But when my mom explained that to me, I knew I'd never get in. To give up your sanity and values in exchange for a once in a lifetime shot isn't a real choice. They want me to pretend like I wouldn't put all my weight on the gas pedal if that nigga was walking across the street while i'm driving.

I declined their offer and they dropped me. So, I dropped them. Coach Q got mad and benched tonight. I hate being benched because I have too much opportunity to watch the stands. I was looking for Remy and he wasn't there. I looked all game and even got up and walked around to see if he was on the other side. I didn't even see Donovan or Nyia. If I was playing I would've never even noticed. But yesterday they were acting like they cared so much about me. I scoffed, plopping down onto the bench.

"What's wrong now?" Lou asked me. He got benched too for skipping practice today. Coach is on a hot ass streak today and is not to be played with. He grilling the referees right now about a call. I ignored him like I been doing. I know it's a bad habit, but what else can I do when I get into a bad mood?

"Show a lil ass and niggas can't speak."

"We wasn't speaking before. Why you hurt about it now?" I snapped at him, mumbling though, like he was under his breath.

"Aight." He nodded his head, getting up from the bench walking over to the water table. I got up too, following him. We stood at the table, watching the game. "Why you following me."

"Ain't nobody following you. I'm thirsty."

"I think all my friends mad at me or something. But I ain't do nothing."

"Why you think that?"

"Ain't nobody show up tonight. Not even Nyia. She come to every game with her boyfriend."

"Damn."

"Maybe they thought you weren't going to play. I know I was surprised to see you back at school today."

I nodded, also surprised that my repercussions were so mild. It was also a good explanation for why they would skip tonight's game.

"So, you thought about the kickback?" He asked me, looking straight into my eyes. His are almond shaped and a light colored brown that were visible even in the dark with the little light coming from the high beams on the field. "You should come."

"Is it gone be at your hotel room?"

"Hell nawl. My friend Honest got a cabin not too far from here. It ain't in the woods or nothing. It's just like a little vacation house. He used to let me crash there sometimes before he started renting it out."