CHAPTER 6

I stood in the front row amongst the crowd of students that lined up at the multi-purpose school hall. Watching mr Thompson give what looked like an impromptu speech.

"It has come to my notice, the misbehaviour of some students causing mayhem to the school's image". He frowned.
"I would not sit and allow such insolence ruin the reputation of a school I've built with my blood and sweat".
He continued," this morning, some students broke into my office, attempting to steal confidential information from my computer.
As you all know how this institution frowns upon such behaviour, I'm here to remind you that these people will no longer be accommodated in Knowlton".
He moved a little to the side I stood. "The perpetrators in question have been called to sanction and will be expelled as the school rule implies. To prove to you once again that Knowlton International School Is never going to tolerate any kind of immorality".
" And if anyone of you," he pointed at the crowd.
" I mean anyone at all who decides to wake the sleeping dog should be ready to meet the same fate sooner or later. Heed my warning for a peaceful stay in the school and have a wonderful week ahead".
"Thank you, sir", chorused the whole school.

Mr Thompson walked down the stage and towards the exit door along with some of the teachers who followed behind.
I could tell he was furious. Everyone knew he was.
That's why they all allowed him to go out of sight before breaking into murmurs and speculations.
I wondered who the unlucky person was this time around. I also tried to count all my classmates visible at the announcement venue. It was early, at half past seven.
I'd left home expecting to at least have a normal Monday but I knew more than anyone not to expect anything normal again after 2 people just got expelled on the first school day of the week.

" Hey, have you seen Ian?".
"No, I haven't", I answered before sitting at my desk.
" How can you not know about your friend? what if he's amongst the 2 people that got expelled?".
"Amanda, I've told you severally that Ian and I aren't friends. I'm sure you're also too smart not to have noticed that ian always comes late to school. You shouldn't assume things or spread the wrong information"
"Whatever", she snapped.
" I'm going back to my sit".

It turned out that I was right, after all, ian wasn't among the expelled students.
They were some boys from my class who are a part of the troublesome trio consisting of Seven Mzam, Moon Okoye and Rotimi Ajayi.
The expulsion of 2 out of the most powerful bullies in the senior class left the whole school in shock.
Even though I was surprised about the expulsion, what baffled me the most was how Rotimi escaped the whole thing unscathed. It was hard to believe that he only got lucky and wasn't part of the crime that led to Moonie and seven's expulsion.
Soon after the announcement, Rumours began to spread in small bits.
Some students said Rotimi didn't go with them because of his ankle injury. Some of the girls in my class even said they saw Rotimi reading in the class throughout the morning of the crime and he couldn't have had anything to do with the break-in at mr Thompson's office.
I didn't know what to believe.
I only felt bad for the two whom I knew since my first year in Knowlton. I could only imagine how hard it would be for them, especially with the upcoming Cambridge IGCSE.
Getting enrolled on another school wouldn't be a problem for Seven because he comes from a wealthy family like Rotimi.
The person I feared for was Moonie who was from an average Nigerian home and his parents were only small business owners.

I must've been so lost in my thoughts that I didn't know when ian came to school or how fast the time flew through physics class.
It was finally lunch break. The best time in school.

Amanda and her crew of girls passed me and went to Ian's desk only to return shortly after with an angry face.
I wondered what ian must've told her to make her that upset.
I didn't blame ian though.
Girls like Amanda are impulsive. something no one could honestly keep up with.
I was packing up my books when ian showed up in front of me.