CHAPTER 7

Jamie is the tall middle-aged white man that always comes with a black car to pick Ian up from school.
I followed Ian to the car park where Jamie was.
I was having second thoughts about going with Ian and the scary-looking Jamie in a car with tinted glasses but then I remembered how ian saved me earlier from Rotimi's claws.
He might look all cold and mean but Ian also has a soft side. He's not the kind of person to hurt anyone.
"Hey, come in", ian called out after entering the car and I hesitantly joined him in the back seat.

We were out on the road for at least 5 minutes when Ian asked Jamie to pull up at a building before the T- junction that leads to my house.
I only found out after I came down that the place we stopped at was a restaurant.
How come I didn't notice there was a restaurant when I passed here almost every day for the past six years?
" It's a new restaurant", ian explained.
"You don't have to worry about me . I'll eat when I get home".
" Who said I'm worried about you?".
He turned around and faced me.
"The only thing I'm worried about is getting bad grades in maths. what will I do if my tutor suddenly falls sick?".
" I'm not sick Ian"
"Are you strong?", he raised an eyebrow.
" Strong enough to tutor this student? Should we go back to school then?".
"No". I held his arm.
He bent a little to my ear," No what?"
"Let's not go back to school".
" Good choice". He nodded.
"After you tutor".

" Are you sure about this restaurant?". I stopped in front of the glass door".
"Cos it looks quite empty in there".
" Trust me, I have eyes for good things". Said ian with a proud grin.
He passed me and went straight to sit on one of the many empty tables.
We sat there for a while before the waiter showed up.

"What are you eating boys ?"
"I'll have Jollof and beef", I replied.
She walked a little to the other side where Ian sat, " And you?".
"Whatever he's having".

The thin-looking lady walked away and returned 30 minutes later with our order.
My Tommy hurt a lot from the breakfast I'd skipped. The only thing in my stomach was the peach-flavoured drink Ian gave me at the library.
" How did you say you found this restaurant again?", I asked after giving one look at the dark red colour on the meal in front of me.
"Online, and...", he stretched.
" The reviews were good ".
" ok". I posed a smile.
"Let's eat then".

I decided to have my first spoon without many expectations but I still couldn't believe what I'd just tasted.
The rice was salty, half-cooked and had too much pepper.
I looked up and saw Ian quietly munching the food. Struggling not to spill it out.
He had the funniest face ever. like a six-year-old forced to eat healthy food.
I tried not to laugh until we both gave up leaving the food halfway through.

" omg", I sighed when we were finally out of the door.
Ian smiled, almost laughing.
"That was bloody awful wasn't it?".
" No", I shook my head.
"It was way more than awful. That is honestly the most horrible Jollof I've ever eaten in my entire seventeen years of existence".
" I thought all Nigerian Jollof tasted like that?"
"No way, that was your first?"
"And might be my last", he laughed.
" wait till you eat my mom's".
"Is that you telling me to come to eat at your place someday?"
"Not really", I cut in.
"That'll be me paying you back for the free meal".
He looked at me smiling from ear to ear.
" What?"
"Nothing"
"Come on Ian say it"
"Jamies waiting at the car".
" That's not it ", I snapped.
" what's on your mind?".
He ignored me. Walked round to the other side to open the back door before saying.
"You're nicer than I thought".
"And you're brighter than you look". I muttered. Then hurried to join him in the backseat once again. We were back on the road.
Going to my house.

The whole car was silent as Jamie drove us to my place, following my directives as we went.
Ian didn't say anything again Until we approached the signboard at my junction.