CHAPTER 12

I'd figured out the CCTV placements in every corner of our school after the first time so It wasn't difficult to sneak out without getting caught
As soon as we got out on the road, I asked Ian to think of a place we'd go to but it seemed he didn't have anything in mind.
Going to the town's mall would have been a good idea if we weren't skipping classes or wearing one of the most recognisable school uniforms in the city so I suggest we'd go to the open market downtown.

I felt Ian's palm tightening in mine immediately we approached the buzzy crowd of buyers and sellers at the market, I knew he didn't like crowdy places but he wouldn't agree to go back either.
He said he wanted to pick some cd's and we were about to go to the movie shop when we came across a man selling handmade bangles. They were pretty and strangely reminded me of those tiny bangles I and kirah shared in primary school. I bought two and gave one to Ian.
We also ate muffins and bought ice cream from the ice cream stand.
Ian dragged me into a costume shop where the shop owner let us try on funny costumes and almost got caught by one of my dad's church members that came to rent costumes for the church play.
We ran out and on our way back saw a crowd gathered around a store that seemed to be celebrating its opening, it was a cosmetic store.
The brand officials asked Ian to take photos with their product and in return offered him a chance to take other photos with anyone he wanted in the booth. They also gave him a free T-shirt and extra copies of the pictures we took together.
I wouldn't say it was a fair trade but it made him smile, even if it was just for a moment. He looked excited and kept on complaining about how funny he looked in those pictures until we got back to the bus stop.
At the bus stop, I watched him re-enact a scene from an old film he said he'd watched before and it made me wonder how many people he'd shown this side of him.
"Listen to me mister", he spread his arms.
" you're my knight in shining armour. Don't you forget it", he points to the place I stood.
"You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight and away we're gonna go, go, go".

Did he say those lines to cheer me up? I smile.
" People are going to think we're crazy if you continue doing this".
"What if we're crazy", he catched up with me.
" what do you think about my acting".
"Awful", I tease.
" Now I know why it's said not every good-looking person can be a good actor".
"Are you saying I'm good-looking"?
" No".
"Did I hear you wrong?".
" maybe", I waved to the bus that was approaching us.

It was almost around closing hours when we got back to school.
We were sneaking back to our block when we bumped into Kirah in the hallway and the air was awkwardly uncomfortable when she saw how close I and Ian stood.
I guess ian felt it too which is why he walked back to class and left me and Kirah to talk.

"About the other day", we say at the same time.
" Just forget about it", kirah made to walk away but I held her back.
"I can't act like everything is cool when it's not, pony you know me more than anyone".
" okay", she gives a deep breath and leans on the wall looking straight at me before I start.
"Do you remember how during prize giving in 5th grade, you said.."
"Someday you'll meet your match?"
"Yes", I nod.
" I think I finally did".
"She's lucky", said kirah.
" That person must be a genius".
"He isn't", I replied.
" He hates maths and doesn't keep to rules.
He likes to read books and loves movie villains".
" you hate villains"
"That's what I thought", I look down at the floor.
" I also thought I needed to be the best for people to see me but This person sees me when I don't want to be seen".
"Isn't that annoying?"
"It was at first. But when I tried to push him away I couldn't", I look up at kirah.
" I'm sorry pony. I am".
"Stop being sorry for every little thing, friends don't do that".
" we're still friends right?"
"Right", she smiled.
" I saw the mock test results and it's a good thing trial mocks aren't recorded".
"I can't help but worry"
"Don't worry about anything", she used her right hand to cover my lips and for a second I thought I saw a tall figure down the hallway, was it perhaps my imagination or that person is Ian?