2: Prologue

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, DECEMBER 1952

The town's families were spending time together for Christmas. That night, decorative trees were lit up, the clouds emitted gentle snowfall, and nothing but a horse carriage passed by the road.

Silent as a snowflake in the night

Holy is the spirit of this light

All the world is calm and peaceful

All the world is bright and joyful

Spirit of love and childlike peace

Love unending that shall not cease

Peace, my children, of goodwill

Peace, my children

Peace be still

Earlier that day, one of the town's dog adoption centers was having a Christmas surprise, where all the dogs were for free.

Lynnton Loud had recently become the landlord of a neighborhood, so he gave his location the name "Loud Street" after him.

Lynnton and his wife, Rita, brought their friends of Loud Street to the center to get their own fluffy companions.

Noah and Emma Hayden adopted an Irish setter that Emma named Lori.

Tyler and Lindsay Oldring adopted a corgi that Lindsay named Leni, and a Bernese Mountain that Tyler named Lynn.

Duncan and Courtney Nelson adopted a border collie that Courtney named Luan, and a Lhasa Apso that Duncan named Lucy.

Geoff and Bridgette Petroni adopted two golden retriever sisters; Bridgette named one Lana, and Geoff named the other Lola.

Harold and Beth McGrady adopted a Shih Tzu that Beth named Lisa.

Lynnton and Rita Loud adopted a white labrador they named Lincoln, after the street that Lynnton grew up on.

But there was one puppy who didn't come home to Loud Street.

Nearby, in the Sharp household on Marceline Street, Jim Sharp handed his wife, Alyson, a hatbox tied with a big ribbon. However, Jim and Alyson were known by dogs as "Jim Dear" and "Darling", and therefore they will be referred to as such onwards.

JIM DEAR: It's for you darling. Merry Christmas.

Now, the "hat" in this box seemed heavy, and it seemed to be squirming around more than usual.

DARLING: Oh, Jim dear! It's the one I was admiring, isn't it! Trimmed with ribbon?

JIM DEAR: Well... it has a ribbon...

The box opened and out appeared a pure blonde Cavalier puppy. Pure blonde, just like Darling. She had a big blue ribbon wrapped around her neck.

DARLING: Oh, how sweet!

JIM DEAR: And her hair is sunshine gold, just like yours!

DARLING: Jim dear, you didn't!

JIM DEAR: You like her, darling?

DARLING: Oh I love her. What a perfectly beautiful little lady.

JIM DEAR: What're you going to name her?

DARLING: Something like... Samira. Sam. It's perfect.