6: After a Bath

Sam went inside to her closet and took out her rubber jacket that she wore on rainy days. Then she found her little rubber shoes that she didn't particularly enjoy, so her humans let her chew them up to her heart's desire. And she chewed them up pretty badly.

Bath! Sam loved baths. She played hide-and-seek with Jim and Darling before every bath. After the little game, Sam loved every second of the actual bathing.

It should go without saying that Jim and Darling really, really spoiled Sam. Before she got her collar, Sam went outside in a bag that Darling carried. But the bag had no use anymore, because now she had a leash!

That evening, Lynnton and Rita Loud came to visit the Sharps. They took Lincoln with them. And of course, Lincoln brought his bunny stuffie, Bunbun.

LYNNTON: Lincoln, you want a bone?

Lincoln wagged his tail and stuck his tongue out. Lynnton then gave him the bone he was holding.

Lincoln then walked to Sam, who was in a room separated from the humans. He dropped his bone to her. Sam was excited to see her friend.

LINCOLN: It's from the butcher's!

Sam's smile faded.

SAM: That butcher didn't call you something awful, did he?

LINCOLN: Wh-what happened?

SAM: The other day, me and Darling went to the butcher's together. I was expecting to get my bag of bones. But this butcher looked nothing like the one who gave me the bag. He asked if Darling wanted a bone for the "mutt". Of course she hated what he said, and we left instantly.

LINCOLN: "A bone for the mutt"?

SAM: That bone must have been something disgraceful.

LINCOLN: H-Have you ever met a mutt?

SAM: Well... no...

Lincoln was sure that if Sam ever actually met a mutt, they wouldn't be as bad as Sam would think. He met a mutt before. But he kept it a secret.

SAM: Why are you here?

LINCOLN: My people didn't tell me.

LYNNTON (from the other room): Lincoln! We're leaving!

Lincoln barked and ran to his humans.

With Lynnton, Rita and Lincoln having left, Sam curled up between Jim Dear and Darling, the fireplace crackling softly.

JIM DEAR: Y'know darling, with Sam here, I'd say life is quite complete.

DARLING: Yes dear, I don't imagine anything could ever take her place in our hearts.