chapter twenty-eight

Scarlett

I can't believe I'm doing this.

A lot has happened since I found out that I was only filling in for the assistant role. The following Monday morning I walked into that building with my head held high and slapped my resignation on Linda's desk.

I knew then it was the right thing to do as she never offered me anything to stay, or thank me for anything. How people can be deceiving, I actually thought she was a sweet lady when I worked on the desk.

That was over a month ago.

I think I might be crazy for doing this but I need to follow my gut and it's just not here anymore.

Charlotte invited me up for Christmas anyway, so I'll just be there a couple of weeks before.

I've given up my lease on the apartment, I packed all my stuff into my car and I'm doing it.

I'm starting over.

Whitedale is the only place that has felt like home to me and I want to make more memories there, I want to be happy and spend time with my best friends. If that includes Brody then that would complete me, but if not that's okay too. Maybe one day we could be friends.

I haven't spoke to him in over two months now. I still love him, I know I do. Those intense feelings don't just go away, even when you don't see or speak to them for a while.

I don't know what my plan is when I get to Whitedale, I don't have a job or a place of my own. Charlotte and Justin kindly offered me to stay in the annex until I find somewhere.

I love them both so much. They have helped me out so many times and I'm truly grateful.

Driving past the 'Welcome to Whitedale' sign my body relaxes, a smile reaches my face and I can feel the happiness inside me. Turning the radio up, I sing along to the festive music playing.

Seeing all the decorations and lights that have been put up makes me feel a rush of excitement. I will enjoy this Christmas. I will be around the people I love, in a place I love and nothing is better than that.

"Hey! Was the drive alright?" Charlotte runs up to me as I step out of my car.

"Yeah it was fine. I love the lights they put up on the main road."

"Oh yeah, Whitedale goes all out for Christmas."

I smile and give her a hug before we make a start on emptying my car.

"Just so you know, we haven't seen much of Brody recently, so he doesn't know you're here."

My stomach clenches as his name but I push through it. I find myself wondering how he and Colby have been.

Have they been alright since I left? What will he think of me moving back here?

"Scar?"

"Sorry, yeah that's fine. If I see him, maybe we can talk and I'll tell him."

"Now, let's have a hot chocolate. Justin is inside cooking his special chicken."

See what I mean? They are so good to me.

~

The following morning I decide to wake up early and take a walk on the beach. It's obviously much colder now it's December, but I still love watching the waves. The roughness of them before they crash onto the beach is almost hypnotising. I squat down taking a moment to just be present and follow my breath.

I suddenly feel a warmth at my side, as I look down I find Colby cuddling into my legs.

I gasp at him sneaking up on me and give him a pat to his head.