Chapter 1: Introduction

A well-lighted brewery, with people, inside and outside, sits next to a body of water. As people converse, a man talks to another man on the phone.

"Are you kidding me? Rust Bank Brewery is the heart of this town. No deal, Mr. and Mrs. Klaxon." One of the owners explained.

"Do you realize who I am?" The man on the phone, known as Mr. Klaxon, angrily exclaimed.

"We are not selling the brewery! Not to you or anyone else." A man with an interesting outfit said, shutting down the idea of selling the beloved place to someone else.

"Wait, Wait!" Mr. Klaxon tried to plead with the owner of the brewery.

"Got it?" The male owner said before hanging up the phone.

A couple stood in front of a tent that read 'Brews for Books' with a couple of bottles of alcoholic drinks- beers no doubt- that sat on a white tablecloth.

The woman placed a hand on her husband's arm, "You shut that down, Delroy?" She questioned.

"It's over, Wilma. I told him more beer, less prisons." He explained to his wife, Wilma, as she exclaimed with excitement.

Delroy grabbed his wife's hand and dipped her.

"Did real good here too!" She proudly reported to her husband as she shook a green container for emphasis.

"I love that!" Delroy said as he brought his wife up from the dip and kissed her on the side of her head.

"My library is set for the year." She told her husband before they heard two children belch and laugh along with a man.

Delroy and Wilma walked closer to a food truck named 'Fawzi's Falafel' where two little girls sat, and the man known as Fawzi gave them food and kept them entertained.

"Time to go, Kat and (y/n)." Wilma said to both of the girls.

"Okay," Kat said before looking at (y/n) and laughing with her friend.

Kat and (y/n) jumped off the food truck.

"Before you put Mr. Fawzi out of business" Wilma raised her right hand for emphasis.

Kat took (y/n)'s hand before running to her father.

"Daddy!" She let go of her friend's hand before jumping to hug him, Delroy chuckled but did catch Kat and hugged her back.

"Mom! Dad!" (y/n) excitedly gave Wilma and Delroy a hug.

(y/n)'s parents had to give up their daughter because they were not financially set or ready for any children yet. But that doesn't mean they fully leave her.

Wilma, Delroy, (M/n) and (D/n) were all friends in college. When they heard about (M/n) being pregnant and the situation, they gladly offered to raise (y/n) as one of their own. They agreed that (y/n) would have a better childhood if Wilma and Delroy took her in.

"Hello, sweetheart!" Wilma kissed the top of (y/n)'s head as Delroy smiled down at (y/n).

"Bye-bye, girls!" Fawzi said.

Wilma, Delroy, Kat- being carried by her father- and (y/n)- being carried by her mother left to go home, and the two girls giggled.

Delroy put Kat down as Wilma did the same for (y/n). Little did the couple know that the girls had both snuck a candy apple from Mr. Fawzi.

The couple buckled the girls in before they both showed them the apple.

Wilma only rolled her eyes playfully at the girls before closing the car's back door.

"What's that, Kat, and (y/n)?" Delroy questioned the two girls.

"Uh...uh, dessert!" (Y/n) quickly and nervously laughed.

Delroy only got up from his crouched position walked over to the driver's side and got in the car.

Kat showed the candy apple to their mother, as Wilma reached for the apple, she said,

"No, my babies, you both will pop." Unfortunately for Wilma, (y/n) took it before Wilma could.

Wilma turned back around as (y/n) gave Kat's apple back and Delroy started the car.

Thunder rumbled as the couple looked out the window.

A couple of minutes later, Wilma suddenly spoke up and said, "Delroy, honey, pull over. I don't like this." She said worried for their safety.

"W-We'll be fine, Wilma." Delroy quickly reassured his wife and kept driving.

"Look almost home." Delroy further assured Wilma as he pointed to a board that said, 'Rust Bank Bridge'.

Kat took a big bite of her apple as the thunder again rumbled.

(Y/n) looked out at Kat's bite and screamed because there was a two-headed worm inside.

Wilma and Delroy both turned in a panic at one of their daughter's screams.

"What, baby?" Delroy questioned.

Wilma turned around to the front to see a truck that was honking at them.

"Watch out!" Wilma shouted out.

As Delroy turned around, he shouted in a panic and tried to take control of the car again.

As brakes squealed, the car crashed into the railings on the bridge and into the water.

"No!" Delroy shouted, scared for his life.

Kat and (y/n) now had their arms around each other and also screamed.

"Delroy!" Wilma shouted as Delroy groaned.

As the car went underwater, Kat and (y/n) both yelled out,

"Daddy!"

"Girls, you both need to swim like we taught you!" Wilma instructed the girls.

"No!" (y/n) shouted as she was afraid.

"Mama! Aren't you coming?" Kat exclaimed.

Wilma did not care that they did not want to before grabbing the girls and saying, "Right behind you, darlings!"

As she put Kat and (y/n) on her lap, they both were scared.

Wilma cupped both of their faces, "Now listen to me, babies. You need to take a deep breath." As Wilma showed them how to do it and put the window down. Water came in the car. Both of them took an inhale and swam out of the car.

Both of them silently take in the view of the car sinking into the water.

(y/n) reached out for the last time.