8| Red snow

𝟏𝟔𝟎𝟏 | 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐞

- ♦♦♦ -

Seonghwa was seated on the edge of a stone that made the stairstep into a hanok. Where he had been sitting since people started retreating from their gathering in the assembly place. He did not feel cold even if gentle snowflakes descended down from the dark skies and coated his cloak and hanbok in a thin layer that did not melt. Seonghwa's eyes were directed at the stick plunged down into the frozen ground. And the exhausted body stubbornly fighting against the forces making it stay.

Arms and legs still kicked around even if it had been hours since the snow had been coloured red. Yunho was not giving up.

His fingers had clawed deep lines into the snow; digging his own grave as he had been moving himself in circles with the stick penetrating through his chest and deep into the ground. Yunho should not have been able to move with a wooden piece through his heart and yet again, the warrior was showing him how stubborn he was about keeping his life and not leaving his corpse to rot.

It fascinated Seonghwa.

His eyes shifted under the cloak as he let them move to the pile of still-laying bodies that the villagers hadn't decided what to do with yet. Supposedly Yunho's family he was caught red-handed killing. Seonghwa could, to some extent, understand how shaken everyone must be. A blood-thirsty monster was not something you encountered every day.

Although, that was far from one of Seonghwa's current worries. He did not care about the dead. He did not care about the ones who feared for their lives. If it wasn't like Seonghwa didn't want to he would have let Yunho kill this entire village - and even more. Kill and drink and murder until he had enough blood to satisfy his feral urges for weeks.

But Seonghwa craved a place he knew he could be safe from those murderous witch-hunters who wanted a world with no evil to roam the darkness. And that would be one of Seonghwa's utter worries.

A pair of sharp eyes passed his figure there sat on the edge of the stairstep and Seonghwa shifted his sight down onto his hands clutching the sewing around the edges of his woven cloak. He must not stir any unnecessary attention. Seonghwa could feel the deep rumbles vibrating in his chest.

The cool wind brushed against his lips exposed to the faint light and the man stepping up to him halted for a second to observe him.

"Mister..?" the voice sounded unsure of its own trail but slowly gained its confidence when Seonghwa leaned his head back and gazed up at him. Seonghwa noted the weapons hanging by the man's side, "You should fare home. There is nothing left to see here."

Seonghwa was silent, his eyes keeping their trace on the young soul in front of him. It didn't seem to scare him. The man arched a brow.

"Ill feelings have strained a thread around my heart, sir. This beast has awaken resent in me incommensurable with anything else," Seonghwa raised to stand as he reached a hand out to pull at the man's arm in a desperate manner, "I seek revenge for the brutal and unjust murder of my lover!" He inhaled shakily, "Please tell me how- sir, my life will never be the same ever again."

The man pressed his lips into a thin line and Seonghwa knew he succeeded when the hands pressing around the grip of the sword trembled from courses of emotions. A heartbeat raced in his chest. "Go home boy. There is nothing you can do here," the man then said, giving Seonghwa a sad look.

Seonghwa shook his head and pleaded, "It has to suffer! I want to see it die- let me, let me kill it!!"

"It cannot be killed that easily. You must understand the forces of this monster are of all evilness. A mere boy like yourself cannot take revenge with the desires you have in mind. Watch it from here, if you really bother, but nothing else can be done than wait for it to drain from all its blood." The man patted his shoulder sympathetically and told him that he wished him the better in the future.