Chapter 4

[EDITED]

Chapter 4: Discovery

I stepped into the open mountain staring in every direction; inspecting everything that I found inside. Chests lay on each side of the uneven walls. Both on top and under the walls. Some even inside the stone ground. Weapons were hung on hinges atop the grey stone. A small kitchen with a few wooden seats were situated at the back of the cavern. A small oven and working bench lay beside each other. Half of wooden furniture was destroyed or burned. Obviously not touched in ages. On the other side was a long corridor leading to a small door at the end. I looked around searching for any source of light but there was none. No wonder this cave is nicely hidden.

I walked over to a chest and opened it. Some rotten flash and a few stones lay at the bottom untouched since, who knows how long. I closed the chest and looked around once again, this time watching as the skeleton put his bow on one of the chests.

"This was the home of the last Brine." The mob announced in a grave voice walking towards the kitchen. He took out a few steaks and put them inside the furnace and ignited the coal on fire. Only then I realised how hungry I was after the expedition. My stomach rumbled at the thought of eating some juicy steak. He quietly chuckled but it came out more as a low gurgle.

After some time of waiting he thrust the two pieces of perfectly cooked steak to me. I caught it with reflex and inimaginable speed. I surprised myself I have to say. Not giving that too much thought I devoured the meat with joy. I scanned the aurrounding area one more final time then blurted out, "Can I stay here?"

"Of course, it is a pleasure to have a Brine guest." The skeleton gave a light smile. "My name is Fadom, the leader of the Skull society. My team serves under Lord Nighthawk. You will have to meet him someday and explain the whole situation." Fadom said.

"I surely will and thank you. I'm Daniel, well at least was." I replied sitting on a misplaced block of wood. A frown planted itself on my face. Could I still have that name? Or did I have to change? I'd hate to change my name.

"Daniel it is then. If I may, I would request a full detailed story of how you became a Brine." Fadom said, his eyes locked onto me. If he had eyes then they would be probably burying into my soul.

I cleared my throat, a little uncomfortable, but it was mu chance to tell someone. Maybe he could make something out of it. "After Israphel murdered my family, I ran for my my life. I hoped to get away as far as I could- away from the monster- I ran into these woods. He obviously gave chase after me and caught up to me after a while. But then his footsteps ceased and I turned around to see if he was gone. Oh how wrong I was... He shot me with with an arrow in my heart. It was poisoned, or that's what I figured out of it, and I blacked out. When I woke, I was what I am now.- I said feeling a little releaved. Oh please know something about this.

He looked at me in surprise, staring deeply into my ghostly eyes. He remained for such a long time I considered speaking again but then he whispered out, his head dropped. "No..."

"What's wrong?" I asked in alarm. Worry flooded me.

"That's what he was up to." Fadom growled under his breath. He folded his arms and leaned against a wall.

"Up to what?" I pushed onward. Worry was beginning to eat my alive.

"Let me finish!" he spat, "That's what he was working on, a Brine elixir. You were a testificate."

My heart dropped. A testificate? I'm a lab rat? I felt my head getting lighter from the thought. "Why me?" I stuttered out. This couldn't be happening.

"He maybe felt that you were the right person to hold the power. Does he know it worked?"

Power. Brine. Test. Elixir. My head throbbed.