Chapter 14

Chapter 14: What is this?

The soldiers stared at me dumbstruck at Barst's comment.

- Alright.- I muttered and looked up at him. - What are going to do now?-

Barst kept his gazed fixed onto me, expressionless, he kept his cool. - Nothing, unless you mean harm to any of the citizens.-

- What if I dont mean harm to anyone but you?-

He stayed silent for a moment, then, - You won't get far with that wound of yours.-

He threw me off. How did he know about my wound?

I smirked trying to hide my confusion, - Just answer my question.-

He thought for a moment, - Then why waste time?- He put hid helmet on and sat up grabbing the sword in his grip. - Duel me, for whatever reason you have. But, - he raised his voice. - if I win, you will be carried to the catacombs and killed there. Our country cannot afford to stand another Brine.-

He knows too much. I stood up as well and swiped my arm through the air causing the window to open up. A cold gust seeped inside extinguishing the torches on the wall, only to engulf us in total darkness.

I stepped out to the middle of the room and caused the tables to slide into the walls with my last step. I was cautious with my powers although it was necessary to do this. I needed room.

Barst stepped out in front of me and stood calmly, his sword raised.

- Fighting in the dark? It seems very unfair.- one of the soldiers hissed, clearly annoyed.

- Rules of the game.- I muttered back.

Barst shrugged. I took my sword out and held it in one hand.

We stayed still for a moment or two. Barst was getting really impatient I could see. He furrowed his brow watching my every muscle move. I tried my best not to show any kind of fear. During that while I was concentrating my energy and thinking of an emergency plan.

I noticed a small flick on the wall to his right, the next thing I knew was that Barst was wrestling his sword against mine. I kicked him back and lashed my sword at his ribs.

Our swords clashed against each other. This time he swung a fist at my cheek causing me to moan in pain. I twisted my weapon to the side and lashed at his throat only to be stopped by him omce more.

I growled and headbutted causing Barst to stumble back. I grabbed the nearest chair and flung it at his head. It crashed into pieces at the impact and he fall to his knees.

Ohs were heard behind me from the soldiers as he hit the ground. I raised my sword at his back but the man flipped around and tripped me back. I hit the ground with my back, lucky to wearing the armour. I lookd towards one of the soldiers' mugs and used my power to take the mead flying at Barst as he advanced towards me.

He choked on the liquid as I forced it down his windpipe. He dropped his sword and coughed. And coughed.... And the soldiers gasped immidately taking their swords out and running at me. I teleported to my feet unable to get up fast enough with the armour and grabbed the first soldier's head.

I threw him at the wall with such force he went flying through it. The rest of the soldiers stopped in their tracks, a mead snake swirling before their faces. - If you want to die like your little leader, then come closer. - I said making the snake spray a bit of the mead at their faces.

They retreated back to their seat, fear in their eyes. I smirked, without even knowing. I saluted and teleported out of the tavern then ran through the streets as fast as my legs could carry me.

Barst is off the list.