Chapter 9

~Maka's POV~ (About 3 hours of walking)

         I'd never admit it but I wish Soul was with me. I'm weak without my weapon, and my karate skills aren't helping me defend myself from the zombies. After I almost got bit twice I decided to keep a larger yet light rock with me. Like the movie Zombieland says Double tap so I need something to help do so.

"The cabin should be near here somewhere." I muttered under my breath looking around for landmarks. I was about to give up and go back to Tohnny when I saw the boulder, Soul and I would hang out at most of the summer he had brought me to the cabin in the woods, it covered the view of a small pond and Soul's tree house that his dad help make.

You could walk right past it without knowing there was a pond behind the boulder. I walked around the boulder and walked into a hard object. I fell down from the shock of the blow. I looked up to see that the object I ran into was one of them, it was a woman, blonde hair mid thirties wearing a dirty and ripped floral dress that looked extremely horrid on her. I scooted away as fast as I could.

It started to clamber after to me slowly, I noticed she had a horrid limp. That's when I noticed her ankle was where she was bit, it was so deep that the bone was cracked from the inhuman strength of the bite.

Even though she had a limp, she was faster than what I would expect it to be from the wound. She tripped on a root and fell on top of me. I couldn't help hold back a scream. 'I hope Soul hears that before the other zombies come.' I thought while I held her head and neck away from me, so she wouldn't be able to bite me.

"Someone help me; please!" I screeched, no reason to keep quite now, I'll probably die anyway.

"Hold on I'm coming!" a familiar voice yelled from behind the boulder.

~Soul's POV~

While I was making a decent breakfast for Kalel I heard screaming come from outside.

"Hold on I'm coming!" I yelled from outside the window. 

"Kalel wake up baby girl." I whispered while shaking her gently. "Stay here, I'll be right back."

"N-no don't go. The bullies will get you!" she begged "Please don't leave me da-ddy" her voice broke at the last part.

"I have to. I'll be right back, I promise." I reassured her while climbing down the ladder. I jumped off before I reached last 4 steps. I sprinted toward the boulder, which is where the scream came from.

When I got there, I saw a zombie on top of a moving thing. Without thinking I turned my arm into a sythe and cut the head off the zombie. Barely any blood squirted out on top of the.. On top of,

"Maka?" I whispered astonished

"Soul" she cried, "Oh Soul, I missed you so much! I-I'm sorry I acted like that. Please forgive me." she said while pushing the zombie off of her and threw herself on me.

"Shh it's okay. Come on, I have someone I want you to meet." I whispered while wrapping my arms around her and leading her to the tree house.  When we got there I could hear sobbing from above me.

"Kalel, I'm back." I said while climbing up, with Maka behind me. When I got up I saw Kalel curled I a ball in the corner. "Hey, baby I'm here." I reassured while wrapping my arms around her. I rocked her in my arms until she calmed down. The whole time she was muttering 'daddy' and snuggling herself deeper into my arms.

"Shh daddy's here sweetie." I responded every time.  I looked up and saw Maka staring at me with amazement. I smiled sheepishly at her. "Kalel this is my friend Maka, Maka this is Kalel." 

Kalel looked up for the first time since I got back, she looked astonished for a moment before breaking down and throwing herself at Maka.

"Hey, shh it's okay." She gently replied. Kalel got up, gripped two of Maka's fingers and walked over to me, still whimpering, she had Maka sit by me, she sat on her lap and grabbed my arms and made me wrap my arms around Maka and herself. Now that I'm holding Maka and Kalel, Kalel finally calmed down in Maka's arms and fell asleep, she was still sobbing silently while asleep.

I kissed Maka's head and kissed Kalels forehead.

"I'm going to protect you both. Forever." I stated squeezing them both gently in my arms.

"Why?" Maka asked quietly, looking up at me.

"Because I love you." I replied