Chapter 12 - Interviews

It was weird being in the car with mom, Kuro and mom's driver. Usually it was just me and mom. Never friends, Katsuki or Mitsuki-san at best. She was always driving me when I needed to, but more than anything she didn't like using cars as transportation. They made too much noise and pollution, she always said. But now she looked content sitting on the front seat looking casually out of the window. I sat behind the driver, whose name I didn't know, on the right side. Kuro sat with me in the back.

I liked riding cars. You moved forward but didn't have to do anything but sit comfortably. I had my headphones on and I spent the 20 minute ride looking on the streets. Everyone was quiet and I preferred it that way. I just hoped it didn't bother Kuro.

We got off in front of a large glass building. I didn't know what the interview would be about, but mom had said we didn't need to say anything if we didn't want to. I was relieved to hear that, but at the same time my mind had started to plan all the possible questions and how I could best answer them.

Sure, I was nervous, but I was also prepared that this could be the most boring day of my life. Me and Kuro followed mom into the building and then to a long desk that had multiple people working behind it. One of them waved, a small, skinny woman with beautiful blond hair. She was the size of a toddler, but looked like an adult all the same. She was sitting on the desk, many stacks of paper towering around her, or so it seemed. "Oseania-san", she greeted.

"Liliana", mom kissed her cheeks two times.

"So nice to see you again", Liliana smiled. Her name wasn't Japanese and her accent was weird so I was assuming she was a foreigner. Maybe she was from Europe. Didn't they do that cheek kiss thing there?

"You too", mom answered. Then she turned to us, "These are my interns, Rosen Neri and Kuro Sina." We both bowed politely, "Nice to meet you."

"Pleasure is all mine", when Liliana smiled, her teeth were whiter than any snow I had ever seen. "You didn't tell me your daughter was absolutely gorgeous", she giggled. I blushed. Even though I enjoyed the compliment, I was also uncomfortable when she seemed to know me when I had never even met her.

Mom just smiled. I couldn't make out the emotion behind it. "And this dark beauty", Liliana continued, now talking to Kuro, "Where do they make pretty people like you? No, let me guess. In the north? Maybe Tokyo?"

Kuro remained quiet. I remembered how she had acted the same when I had asked her the same question. Mom was quick to speak again, "Liliana, could you show us to the interview, we have a schedule", she flashed the most charming smile.

"Oh, of course", Liliana jumped off the desk and as she did her body stretched to a size that still looked the same, but was now about my height. "Just follow me."

------

When the elevator had gone up six floors a man came in and pressed the button to take him to his floor. "Robert?"

The man's eyes brightened. "Rosen? Oh, how lovely to see you, I didn't know you were coming today."

"Well here we are", mom said, gesturing to the rest of us.

The man's eyes shifted to me. "Could this be your daughter? Neri-chan? I saw her on TV."

I grimaced slightly. Why did every fucking person knew me!? This was getting really disturbing. I looked at mom, hoping she would notice my eyes begging her to save me. She just sighed softly. "Yes, this is Neri and Kuro Sina, they're my interns."

"Oh, so you are our future heroes. We're counting on you", the completely brown man smiled and gave us a thumbs up. He had a beautiful light brown skin, a brown jacket and trousers. Only his tie and eyes were so dark they seemed black.