Chapter 13 - Happy training!

It wasn't long before the final day of my internship came by. It was the afternoon and we were packing up with Kuro. Gosh, I was gonna miss her. "Hey, Kuro."

"Mm?" I heard from the hallway.

"Can I get your phone number? So we can keep in touch."

Kuro's head peeped around the corner of my door. She made a funny face and I laughed. "Sure."

She came properly in and fell down on my already made bed letting out the biggest sigh. "Hey, I just did that!"

"Oh, sorry", she laughed but didn't get off. "I kinda don't want to get back to school. This was a really fun week."

I agreed. Though, I did miss my own peaceful room and maybe my friends as well. This experience would stay with me for a long time. "Do you have a long ride home?" I asked.

"I live in Sendai, so yeah, kinda."

"Oh. Wasn't that where–" I stopped myself from going further. There happened a pretty bad earthquake a while back.

"Yep", Kuro said quietly.

"A-", I didn't know what to say. "Are you okay?"

"My father and brother died then."

I blinked a few tears in my eyes. "I'm so sorry", I had nothing more to offer.

She just shrugged. "I don't know how to progress it, so I'm not sure how to even feel about it."

I had known loss. Not the same type she had, or what people thought as real loss. We had had a few pets along the years. Now we had none, you can guess what happened. And I knew far too well how Kuro was feeling.

"I know, it's okay."

"It does feel wrong, though, not feeling anything."

"I know this is the most annoying thing I could say but, I think your mind is just not ready to deal with the loss yet. It will come, but before that you might feel this emptiness or loneliness or helpfulness or just nothing. That doesn't mean you are not grieving."

Kuro was silent for a long time, just looking at me. I panicked. Had I made it all about myself again, did I say something wrong? "What? "

"Oh, nothing, just, thank you. You're a good friend."

My chest warmed up at that. "Text me anytime, okay."

"I will. And you too, I try to be always reachable."

"And by the way, I won't guarantee I answer calls. I hate those", I warned her.

"Okay", she laughed.

We exchanged phones and soon I had her contact info saved on my phone.

- - - - -

Mom drove me home, so I didn't have to take the train for nothing.

"How was your week?" mom questioned. It was weird that she had gone home every day when I had stayed at the agency.

"I think it was fine. I had really fun."

"Aah, that's good. You seemed to get along with Sina just fine, right."

"Yeah", this time I had been pointlessly worried. "It was nice to work with her."

"But do you miss school already?"

"Ehhh... No, not the school part, at least. Japanese classes have been so hard, and I'm probably gonna fail if I don't work really hard. And don't get me started on math."

She laughed. "Don't take too much stress, remember."

"Mmm."

"You don't have to do everything perfectly. You don't even have to do anything, theoretically. Remember to rest. Your body and mind are working hard every day."