Day twelve

“No”, I say and cross my arms in front of my chest to which Harry only laughs before rolling his eyes.

“Louis, let me drive.”

He’s already sitting on the driver’s seat, fingers drumming on the steering wheel and he looks so convinced I’m pretty sure I don’t have a chance.

“Last time, you nearly crashed the car into a tree.”

“See. Only nearly. I’m a good driver. I know what I’m doing so buckle up now, because I’m just gonna drive.”

I sigh, admitting my defeat and buckling up, laying my feet down on the headboard before turning on some music. “Lets go then.”

We didn’t talk about yesterday again. Not about the hugs and the tears and about falling asleep with his arms wrapped around mine. It’s not like I’ll mention it again if he doesn’t, for sure not.

He looks over for me with a small smile on his lips for a second before clicking on the map and starting the engine.

We drive in silence for about two hours before we both get hungry because it’s already two p.m. and we only had breakfast so far.

“Stop at some rest area or actually cook?”, Harry asks and turns down the music a little.

I shrug. “I’d say cook, but it’s you who’ll end up doing that, so you decide.”

He laughs and nods. “I’ll do that, no worries. Let’s find a campsite to stay at then?”

I nod. There’s supposed to be some really beautiful forests around so we’ll probably go on a small walk there this afternoon.

We end up driving for another hour before we find a decent, very small campsite with only two other vans and three tents on there. We find a spot in a corner and park the van.

“So fucking hungry”, I say and jump out of the car to get the camping stove from the back, “You better hurry up.”

Harry nods and gets some pasta and tomato sauce out of a box. “Will do.”

We chuckle and my tummy flutters in a weird way again. It doesn’t take too long until Harry is cooking, me sitting next to him awkwardly, trying to help, but him refusing to let me do anything because apparently, I’ll just mess it up.

I decide to built up the table with one chair and the bucket we might have stolen from the first campsite and set the table instead.

It does taste rather good, especially compared to all those disgusting sandwiches wrapped in plastic we got from gas stations.

Harry smiles contently and puts his spoon down in the bowl. “The lady at the reception gave me this map with hiking paths through the forest. I don’t exactly want to hike but how about a small walk? I could really use some movement after sitting in the car all the time.”

I nod. “Yeah, if you want.” He smiles and nods before getting up to get his jacket from the van. We decide on doing the dishes once we’re back, get dressed a little warmer, lock the car and leave.

We have to walk along the road we came from for a bit first. “I hate walks”, I say, “So be prepared for a lot of complaining.”

Harry scoffs. “Good thing we decided on a walk then, Louis. Fabulous idea.”

I laugh and shrug. Maybe, in reality, I just really didn’t want to say no to his suggestion. Maybe the way his face lit up when he read about those small walks and that region on a blog in the internet, I really couldn’t bring it over to tell him that I hate walks with my whole heart.