1.What if she likes someone?

He pressed the bell with pursed lips, and a nerve in his jaw twitched. He straightened his shoulder and shifted his suitcase from one hand to the other. He waited patiently for someone to open the door. When no one opened the door for five minutes after ringing the bell, he pressed the bell again. He hated these kinds of situations. He was late because of the new project they were working on, he was an excellent architect and since he was leading the team, his work time was extended. 

He was about to press the bell again when the door was opened and as expected loud toxic verbal spew hit his ears.

"No one is serving you here so if the door is not opened at the first bell, go somewhere else." she paused to glare at him. "You have started showing your colours like your characterless sister, a person with good character doesn't stay out late at night." 

He clenched his jaw. "Say whatever you want to say about me. Do not drag my sister in it." He snarled but she looked unfazed.

"Check your tone before you talk to me, Your father will not take a second to throw you out if I ask him to."

He stormed towards his room. He was hungry, but anger took over all his emotions. He didn't know what was holding him back from moving out of this house. His father, who had forgotten about him or the memories of his late mother, flashed from every corner of this house. But he felt chained here otherwise the office had provided him with a well-furnished flat and car. He could have moved out. After every verbal spew from his stepmother, he planned to do it but the next day he would find himself here; in the house, he spent days, years with his mother, father and sister. A happy family. 

As slid under the cover, hungry and furious and sad, a lone tear escaped from his eye. He longed for a shoulder to cry upon. As he slept that night, he saw his mother in his dreams, smiling happily at him. 

***

"Bhai, I need ten thousand rupees." He heard Zoya's voice as soon as he exited his room, ready for the office. 

"For what?" He asked, placing the suitcase on the sofa and padding towards the kitchen while folding his sleeves. 

She replied, following him. "There is a fresher party in our college, I need a dress and other things for that." 

He hummed while taking out a pan and placing it on the stove after filling it with a cup of water, he ignited the flame. Then he moved towards the fridge and searched for the milk. 

"Is there no milk?" He asked, finding the fridge empty. 

"I don't know," Zoya shrugged her shoulders and continued. "Bhai, give ten thousand."

Sighing he switched off the stove and sauntered out of the kitchen. Zoya was still following him. 

He took out a bundle of cash and gave it to her. 

"Thank you bhai," She hugged him with a bright smile. He patted his head. 

"Zoya," Tahmeena's harsh voice echoed in the living room. "Go to your room. Right now."

"Mom…" She opened her mouth but was cut off by her glare. "... to your room."

Arsh rolled his eyes and strode out. Even though he wanted to talk to his father before going out but seemed like he was still asleep. 

***

On the way to the office, he grabbed a sandwich and a cup of coffee. When he was not working, he felt so lonely. This was the reason he liked working, and when his boss praised him and when his colleagues looked at him as an integral part of their team, he felt at least he was needed somewhere in this world, at least someone would feel his absence, at least somewhere his presence was appreciated.