3.Welcome home

Seher was feeling anxious and unsure with passing time. She didn't know if she made the right decision. 'What ifs' nagged her mind. She was getting ready for the Nikah but she felt like running away to the desert or the mountains because mountains had more greenery and she liked plants and the chances of her dying thirsty were little in comparison to the desert but maybe in the mountains, dangerous wild animals would hunt her down. Anyway, she was going to die. She groaned as her thoughts ran wild.

She was second away from washing her expensive bridal make up and escape but Arhan and Alisha barged into her room, squealing, their mother behind them, equally or even more squealing. A smile broke into her lips seeing them. They were literal bundles of joys. 

"Oh my God," Hira gasped while fanning herself. "You look breathtaking."

Sehar blushed deep red. "Thank you." She was extremely bad with compliments, maybe because it was pretty rare that she got any praise. 

"Mom, is she gonna be our mami?" Alisha queried and Arhan rolled his eyes. "Of course, stupid, she marrying Arsh mama."

Alisha looked embarrassed and angry for being called stupid in front of Sehar and pinched Arhan's arm muttering "you're stupid."

Hira glared at them while fixing Sehar's veil. "Stay quiet, you both. It's a very crucial time for your mami, don't ruin it." 

Arhan retreated his hand which he had extended to pinch Alisha and sat beside her on the bed, innocently, Alisha followed him. 

A few minutes later Firdous entered and asked Hira to bring her out, to the stage, where nikah was going to take place. 

She gingerly walked towards the stage, with the help of Hira and Arhan and Alisha by her side. 

The stage was beautifully decorated with baby pink and white flowers, aesthetic lamps and beautiful scented candles. Everything and everyone looked and smelled amazing. Only a few people were invited to the nikah ceremony. She had an inkling about why he didn't even invite his father but she was not sure about it.

As she sat, her gaze fell on Arsh who was dressed in a white kurta and salwar with Peshawari sandals. He looked different. He looked good. As Arsh's gaze met with hers she didn't know why she shied away and shifted her gaze to her hands. 

Before the nikah, her uncles, Irfan and Farhan came to give their blessings but their wives and children didn't deem it necessary to come near her. Who was she to complain when her own mother didn't have time to attend such an important day of her life? She gulped down the tears and smiled while listening to Alisha who suddenly wanted to become a bride as well and her mother was convincing her that she needed to grow up first.

Before the nikah commenced, Arsh sat beside her and as the nikah began her heart started fluttering like dry leaves. She clutched Firdous's hand in a tight grip. With wild thoughts running a marathon in her head, she gave her consent and so did Arsh and they were officially announced husband and wife by the Islamic scholar. They prayed after that and the sound of congratulations echoed in the hall. She didn't know what to feel, her emotions were all over the place and she felt like crying her heart out. 

After the congratulatory programme and photo session, dinner was served. Arsh had escorted her to the table reserved for only the bride and groom. They both sat to eat. She could see him eating. Completely unbothered. And here she couldn't even swallow her favorite Hyderabadi biryani. Forcefully gulping down a few morsels, she retrieved her hand and sat there, watching him eat. She couldn't understand why she wasn't able to be as chilled as he was, if not more. Maybe because the changes in his life were minor in comparison to hers. Sighing, she looked down at her palm. The henna designs were the deepest shade of red. Even though she didn't believe it, she had heard that the deeper the henna color, the more the husband's love. But in their marriage, no love was involved. It was an arrangement. She wondered if love could find its way into their hearts.