14. I promise

She had spent the day, anticipating her future. She didn't even go to college. 

She had heard it often that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. She thought to use it today and brainstormed for the menu. It took her more than two hours to prepare jeera rice, shahi paneer, chapli kabab, caesar salad, and raita and ordered ras malai as she knew he liked it.

After taking a shower, she dressed up in deep red Anarkali and did a little touch-up. Wearing oxidised earrings, she applied perfume behind her ears and on the inner side of her wrists. 

A satisfied smile plastered on her lips as she gave herself a once over in the vanity mirror. 

Arranging the dining table, she lit some scented candles for a romantic ambience.

After everything was done, she impatiently counted the seconds while absent-mindedly surfing the TV channels. 

It was late and he wasn't home yet, which gave her more bouts of anxiety.

After contemplating for a while she thought to call him. She had just retrieved her phone from the table when the door opened with a click. 

She looked up and found him stepping while dragging luggage. 

It was hers. 

Did it mean, he was going to forgive her?

With newfound hope, stood up with a jerk and trudged towards him, anticipating a glance of appreciation from him. 

She looked pretty, didn't she? 

But her face fell and her heart sank to her stomach as he didn't seem to notice her appearance. 

"Assalam o Alaikum." Greeting him, she stretched her hand for the luggage. 

Nodding, he pushed it towards her. 

Dragging the luggage towards their room, she glanced at him and found him, loosening the tie knot and plopping on the sofa. He looked exhausted. 

That's why he didn't notice me. 

Swiftly keeping the luggage near the wardrobe, she sauntered towards the kitchen and fetched a glass of water for him. 

"Here you go," standing in front of him, she forwarded the glass while looking at him with a soft smile playing on her lips. 

He took it without a word and gulped it down in a go. 

"How was your day?" She tried once more for him to speak. 

"Good," came his one-word reply. "I need to freshen up." Saying he disappeared in the room and she stood there as tears trudged down her pale cheeks. 

Wiping them mercilessly, she summoned her courage and waited for him to come out. 

She would do it right this time. 

She would apologize to him, properly. 

She would promise him to not repeat her mistake. 

Yes, she would do that

***

She tapped her right foot impatiently on the ground while waiting for him to come out. She had switched off the lights and the living room was illuminated by just the candlelight that was placed on the dining table. 

Finally, the wait was over. As she saw him stepping out of the room, she abruptly stood up and approached him, who had by now noticed the preparation and had stilled in his place… his gaze bouncing between the romantic arrangement and her beaming face.