4.He had important work

The muffled rattle of dishes and plates hit her ear and she wriggled out of sleep. Yawning, she opened her eyes and it took her a few moments to gather yesterday's happenings. She looked beside her and then all over the room. Arsh was not there. She climbed out of the bed and sped to the washroom. After freshening up, she made the bed and exited the room.

She padded towards the kitchen and stilled at the threshold with an astonished expression. Her eyes wandered at his formally dressed physique with folded sleeves and stopped at his hands which were swiftly and finely chopping onions like a Masterchef. She couldn't tear her gaze away from the scene. 

He sensed her presence and looked at her with a smile. "Good morning."

She came out of the trance and padded towards him. "Good morning, Let me do it."

"As far as I know the new bride is not allowed to do the chores." He said while gesturing to her to step aside and mix the eggs, finely chopped onion, chillies and salt in a bowl, with expert-like precision. 

Listening to him, her lips stretched into a smile. 

"So for how many days will I be considered a new bride?" She queried while pulling out a chair and taking a seat. 

He looked at her for a moment with a puzzled expression before replying. "That I will have to find out."

"Until then you are going to cook, clean, do the laundry etc. Good, I like the idea." A mischievous smile adorned her lips while Arsh looked at her with a horrified expression. 

She laughed at his priceless expressions and he realized her little prank.

After placing the plate of omelette bread on the table he leaned on her little, looked into her eyes and whispered sensually. "I wouldn't mind doing all the chores if it would make you happy." 

Seher felt her face heating up and her heart pounding in her ears. His proximity and also deliberate attempt to appear sexy had caught her off-guard. 

Even though Arsh was just trying to joke, as his gaze collided with her brown pools, he felt something fluttering in his stomach. As his gaze wandered over her face, he could see he was making her uncomfortable. He drew himself back and flicked a finger on her forehead. "Breakfast is getting cold, have it because this is the first time I cooked for anyone other than of course me." He said pulling a chair for himself. Seher didn't say anything but a few seconds later she served her plate with omelette and bread and also poured herself a cup of tea. She wasn't surprised that it all tasted good because she had seen him cook like an expert. 

"Are you going somewhere?" She asked as she saw him wearing his coat. 

"I'm sorry for leaving you alone but something urgent has come up so I have to go. I hope you don't mind." He sounded apologetic. 

"No, it's okay."

"Shall I drop you at nani's place?" He asked but she denied it because she wanted to set her things up. 

He shrugged and left for the office. 

                       ******

She roamed the place. It was just a two-bedroom apartment but it was spacious and she liked it. The only thing that she didn't like was the lack of feminine touch to it. Making a mental note to buy a few indoor plants, decoration pieces and a fancy swing for the balcony she moved towards the bedroom. Unpacking and arranging her belongings took almost an hour because she didn't bring a lot of things. After getting done with it she took a shower. When she came out of the washroom, she heard someone talking in the living room. Her heart dropped to her stomach and she stealthily walked towards the door and without making any noise she slightly opened it, just to see. She sighed in relief as her gaze fell on Hira, who was on her phone. She stepped out and greeted her softly and sat beside her patiently, waiting for her to get done with the call. She heard Hira giving instructions probably to her husband about feeding medicine to Alisha. 

"How are you?" She chirped after putting her phone aside and pulling her in for a hug. 

"I'm fine. How's Alisha?" 

"She is better."

Seher squirmed in her place as Hira gazed at her adoringly. "I'm happy for you both." She smiled holding Seher's hand. 

"Thank you," she muttered. 

"My brother cares for you a lot." She looked up as Hira declared. 

She didn't know what to say. She wasn't sure about it. 

"Um, tea, coffee or juice?" She enquired while trying to change the topic. 

"Your husband didn't even let me finish my breakfast and brought me here." Seher looked at her quizzically. 

"On my whining, he also packed some food on the way," Hira said, rising to her feet. "Let me heat it up and bring it here."

Arsh had brought Hira here, but why? She came out of her musing as she saw Hira moving towards the kitchen. "Aapi, I'll do it." She strode behind her. 

"Not today. You are not supposed to work for a month. Now let me do it and when I'm not here, I will leave my brother at your service."

She couldn't help but laugh at the resemblance of the brother-sister's thoughts. 

"Aapi, I can't believe you take these traditions so seriously." She said while laughing. 

"Girl, traditions are supposed to be protected especially when you are on the receiving end of its benefits." Hira joked while heating the butter chicken and naan. 

She looked at Hira and bit her lip. 

"Why did Arsh bring you here?" She asked the question that was swirling in her brain. 

Hira replied busily. "He was worried that you would feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed because he left you alone on the second day of your marriage."

"By the way, why did you let him go? You should have stopped him?" 

"He had important work." She replied softly. 

She knew Arsh from her childhood and she always found him distant and unapproachable. She never thought him to be this considerate. She felt good to find out this new side of him. 

Happy reading