SIX

Morning came, Danera found herself in her own bed. Not remembering how she got there, she assumed Aegon must have somehow carried her back. She sat up, unable to reduce the grin on her face. As she reached for a goblet of water, she saw another note, thank you, it read, only increasing her already wide grin. It was tourney day, something she had not much been looking forward to. Although she found it exciting, Danera could not help worrying for Aegons safety, he was not trained like Aemond, after his many years of drunkenness he lacked the training the other knights had.

Getting out of bed, she walked over to her balcony, looking upon the preparations for the coming day. Alicent instructing the servants to ensure everything was perfect.

Elena walked in "good morning, Danera." Danera had insisted that if they were going to be friends, she must call her by her first name. They chatting about the tourney as Elena dressed her in the purple dress she had chosen yesterday. It was low cut, but not too revealing, with gold beads patterned over the bodice. The long skirt had purple stitching that glinted in the light, almost making her glow. Elena left Daneras hair mostly down, with half of her long locks plaited to keep it out of her face. She thanked Elena as she left, walking towards the dining hall.

"You look gorgeous" spoke Alicent as soon as she laid eyes upon Danera. She kissed her forehead, Danera was not used to being 'mothered'. She forced a smile back, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "Aegon and Aemond are readying themselves, Helena should be down shortly" Alicent explained, hurrying off to continue with her preparations. Danera sat down, picking at the various fruits laid in front of her. Her lack of appetite showing her worry for Aegon.

-

"The King and Queen" bellowed Otto, as Alicent and Viserys stepped into their seats. The queen supporting her husband, as if he were about to collapse at any moment. Denera sat with Helena, feeling like excited children.

-

"Why are you doing this, brother" Aemond asked, leaning against the tent post, curious about his brothers sudden interest in tourneys. Aegon tried to ignore him, not wanting to tell Aemond the real reason he was doing all this. "You haven't touched your drink all day" Aemond continued in a sly tone, trying to get a rise out of Aegon. Aemond and Aegon were never close, not even as children. They were forced together by their mother, but did not truly care for the others well-being. "Well I need a wife don't I brother" he spat back, not wanting the conversation to continue. "And you expect that to be Danera" Aemond spoke, Aegon glared at him instantly, a look of worry and anger in his eyes. "I saw you, last night, carrying her back to her rooms, you'd fed her wine and had her I assume." "No" said Aegon, practically shouting now. Then in less than a moment, Aemond had Aegon by the throat, squeezing tightly, "good because if you lay a finger on that girl..." Aemond stated coldly. "You'll do what" Aegons cocky tone was back "just because she will never be yours" he smirked in Aemonds face, who pushed Aegons head to one side and walked off. They always knew how to get a rise out of eachother, especially when it came to Danera.

Danera and Helena watched closely at each opponent, cheering and booing in sync. Each time a knight stepped into view, Danera felt her heart in her throat. "Aegon, second of his name and Aemond Targaryen." Both boys walked out, determined to settle their previous argument. Aegon walked straight over to the stand where Danera sat, she stood up, walking over to him. "What are you doing?!" She whispered harshly, terrified to see the people she held dear against eachother. "Winning your favour" Aegon whispered back with a wink and kneeled for her, "your favour, my princess" Aegon spoke loudly now, everyone near staring straight towards her in shock. Trying to ignore the prying eyes, she turned to pick up the ring of flowers each lady was given to favour her chosen knight. Placing on Aegons lance. He smiled up at her, then turning to Aemond, who's face was furious with them both. The brothers readied themselves to joust. Danera could barely watch each round, her breaths quick and heavy. Aemonds anger lost him the concentration he needed, Aegon victorious. He held his arm up, listening to the cheers of the crowd. Alicents face showing her displeasure at her sons fighting openly for a girl neither of them should care for.