Chapter 2 "Another way" [part 2]

Could it be true? Could they really have created such a different story? 

Growing up in Bieno had shown me that lies could be everywhere, but I never believed that there was truth among so many lies.

Crey had been the bad guy all along?

What did that mean for my Kingdom?

What did that mean for me?

'Crey wanted to unite the signs to destroy them and make that power non-existent to humans. He claimed that humans didn't need to rely on those powers, that we could do without them. He wanted to be independent of the Gods. Something happened to him on the way to get them. Benedict, his brother, was involved somehow, not in the way we thought. But, whatever it was... Gaia, this is massive.'

'It's impossible.'

'I know, it sounds crazy. But there's something even worse.'

What could be worse than knowing that even the story of our creation was false?

'Apparently, Crey did it.'

'Excuse me?'

'Somehow Crey managed to put all the signs together, and when he did, he summoned the Fifth God. How, I'm not entirely sure, what I know is that they talked. Gaia, the man spoke to the blessed Fifth God. Can you imagine that?'

To be able to see any of the Gods already seemed crazy to me, but especially to see him, it would be something completely and totally impossible.

'Apparently, it is not known what they talked about, but after that meeting, the war began. Something happened Gaia, something else. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that answer may help you.'

'Help me for what?'

'Not to get marry. Think about it. If Crey could put the signs together, then you don't need an heir. Whatever the baby is supposed to do, anyone can do it. Crey did it, you can do it. We just need to find out what really happened.'

I pondered on his words for a few seconds. 

What would it mean to unite all the signs? An exuberant amount of power in the hands of a mere human, it just didn't seem right.

Do it, whispered the voice in my head.

'And you don't know any more?'

'That's why I'm here. The girl told me that her grandmother wants to see you. She is a special being, a powerful one, and she wants to talk to you.'

'Okay, I'll talk to her.'

I made up my mind right away. 

At another time in my life, I might not have been interested in knowing what the brothers' story was hiding. But now, my whole life was based on their fight, on the Gods, and on destiny. If there was something else there, I had to find out.

'Great, open a portal and we'll leave right now.'

'I can't.' I replied instantly.

'What do you mean you can't? Come on Gaia, Isabelle won't wait forever, believe me, she has a temper.'

'I can't Caelus. What was I thinking? By the Gods, I'm leaving in the morning, I'm going to Vulcan to marry Phoenix.'

That sentence was like shooting an arrow straight into his heart. I saw it in his expression.

'Didn't you hear me or what? I've just told you that...'

'Milaia, I'm sorry, but I just can't take it any...'