Chapter 14 "Win or Lose" [part 1]

The glass was not going to hold much longer.

Guests began to run in all directions.

Aurora, Rayn and Polar approached me for instructions. I still wasn't used to them being so loyal to me. I wasn't sure if they were doing it for me or for Caelus. But their loyalty was sincere.

'Lead everyone to safety, as far away from this room as you can.'

'And you? What will you do Gaia?' Aurora asked me.

'She'll stay here,' Polar replied.

'No. We have to protect you, you can't stay here,' Aurora replied.

'I'll be fine, you guys help me with that. Protect the others, please.'

Rayn was looking around for Marina, I noticed in a second.

She saw him and came over to us.

'I'll help here, I'll use my daggers,' Marina said.

'No,' Muvina said, stepping in between us, 'you will lead them to the armoury. If those beasts defeat us, you will have to fight them. Create as many Respirums as you can, set each of the mermen and mermaids to it. If the monsters attack, you will fight back. Anapos will not fall. Do you understand me?'

'But...'

'Promise sister. You will stay in the armoury.'

Marina nodded reluctantly and led my retinue and the guests who were not running towards the armoury.

Galaga and Mena appeared in the crowd.

'What's going on?' my sister asked, strangely detached from all the conflict.

Where had she gone?

She would have had the time to poison any guard. Galaga could have helped her too. They had both been prisoners of the Kingdom of Bieno.

No, I couldn't think that, not now.

'Follow the others, and take him,' I said to Galaga, pointing at Russell. 'That's an order.'

Galaga accepted my order and took Russell by the arm, who was still completely lost.

I didn't know if I could forgive what he had said.

All that hatred he had for me hurt more than words could explain.

I couldn't understand how he could resent me for moving on, for becoming who I was supposed to be.

Mena took my hand.

'I'll see you in a bit Laia.'

'We'll see each other in a bit.'

She nodded and followed Galaga and Russell.

Caelus, Phoenix and Muvina were still there.

'You must all leave. I have the cure, I will do what I can to stop them,' I urged them.

'Gaia is right, go,' replied Muvina who didn't look at all willing to leave. 'You don't have the power to...'

'I'll stay,' said Caelus and took off his coat, leaving only his shirt, which he rolled up.

'I'll stay too,' Phoenix added.

'Your power won't help at all, it will only give us reason to worry,' Muvina told him.

'I won't leave either of you alone, if you think I will, then you're crazy. Are you crazy Muvina?'

His mark began to glow under his clothes. He was ready to unleash his fire if necessary.