Chapter 27: A new beginning [part 1]

I opened my eyes with difficulty and suddenly pain filled my body again. The air returned to my lungs and everything became real again.

'She's alive,' someone pronounced in amazement.

The cheers soon followed.

I sat up carefully, my head still spinning, and couldn't see that someone was crying inconsolably near me, unable to move from the shock of surprise.

'Gaia? Gaia!' Caelus caught me in his arms and showered me with kisses that I thought hurt him as much as me, considering we were both hurt. 'You came back to me.'

'Did you have to call out to me so loudly? I heard you from Heaven,' I said to which he replied between laughing and crying.

'I thought I had lost you.'

'You never lost me.'

'Those were the worst minutes of my life. Next time, I'll make sure I leave first.'

'We'll see about that.'

People started to approach and between several of them they helped me up. My whole body had been injured from the blast of powers, I could barely move, but it didn't matter.

This was my new beginning.

After the battle, nothing was easy.

Those who had been poisoned by the darkness had to find themselves again, and for many it was almost impossible. Some could not forgive themselves for what they had done, others simply could not remember anything. It was a fresh start for everyone, rebuilding from the ashes that the wickedness of some had caused.

I tried to bring peace, but I spent a long time recovering from my own wounds, so I was not present at the trials.

Yes, there were trials.

Prince Jonah of Bieno, the late King Lucius of Bieno, the advisor Rythel and the former leader of Eurus Brennus were found to be the main guilty ones.

Jonah was so weak when they found him that he almost didn't make it to his verdict. Rythel wanted to escape, but was caught by new Eurus soldiers, under the command of Aylyn, their new Ruler. Brennus managed to escape, but was hunted for a long time, until his own men turned him in.

They were all condemned by the new partnership of Kingdoms that I devised and which was accepted by all.

Instead of dividing ourselves, we created a council with the leaders of the Kingdoms. These would not be roles that could be inherited, they would be roles that would be chosen from and by the people.

Phiona took her brother's place with the overwhelming support of her people. Muvina, caught up in the mourning of her sister and husband, decided to step aside and called for her Kingdom to decide who would be their new leader. The mermaid Mervia, Muvina's loyal advisor, was unanimously chosen. Eurus, still in the midst of reshaping, remained in the hands of Aylyn and the Rajikaris, who ruled it together, trying to turn years of problems around. Julyana also left it up to the fairies to choose between her sisters, but they chose her again, thanks to her bravery and courage in battle.

As for Crescendo and Bieno, well, that was more difficult. We tried to unite two peoples who for centuries had been enemies. We had to do it slowly, but I felt very fortunate to have someone like Caelus by my side to do it. He was a natural leader, and many people simply followed him.

The council agreed, against my wishes, that the guilty should be sentenced to death.

I didn't approve at the time, and I don't approve now, because I wanted to put an end to the violence once and for all. But the people needed to feel that justice had been done.