Chapter 13: The Sealance Ball [part 2]

Betrayal.

Someone at the Ball was betraying me.

I had to carry that burden as I tried to balance in the crystal shoes my sister had ordered me to wear.

'You're ready,' she declared after securing a small tiara between the braids that pulled my hair out of my face.

My amber eyes reflected the sparkles in my dress.

Mena had decided on a beautiful dark pink dress. She had decorated it with small flowers made of pink fabric that gave it a magical look.

She opened the door and took my hand.

'If any of those gentlemen bother you, I'll be there to get you out of there.'

'Thank you, that would be nice,' I said with a smile.

Sometimes I wondered what she must have thought when I ran away from Jonah. She was convinced that marrying the prince would be our escape from the poverty we were living in. And she knew that if she had been the one, she would have accepted him even if she could never love him. Because that was who she was. But here and now I didn't feel that she blamed me for running away, in fact, I felt that she was the one who understood me the most.

She could be the traitor.

I knew it, and it hurt just to think about it.

We walked together through the long, endless glass corridors.

If someone had told little Milaia that one day she would walk those corridors in a big, pompous gown glittering with crystals, with a beautiful but gaudy tiara on her head reminding her that she was royalty, she would not have believed them. Indeed, I would have laughed. The idea of wearing a corset by choice was beyond ridiculous to my former self.

Mena was ecstatic, it was everything she had imagined, wanted and dreamed of. She was free to do what she wanted, which was basically to design those beautiful creations that I wore so proudly.

She could be the traitor.

'Are you okay?' She whispered to me when we were close to the place, I gathered from the sound of the obvious music.

'Yeah, I just... I've got a lot on my mind.'

'I guess it comes with the responsibility of being a Queen. But tonight forget you're the Queen and just have fun. Enjoy an evening without thinking about war, conflict or love. Will you try?'

I sighed deeply.

'I will try.'

As we arrived at the door, two guards were waiting, looking at each other, but not at us.

It only took the sound of the heels against the glass for them to realise that they had to open the door for us.

The light almost blinded me.

It was so bright that my mouth opened automatically.

I might be royalty, but that didn't make me any less human.

I was shocked at what I saw.

I had been to a Ball before, or at least I thought I had. But Bieno was nothing compared to what I was now seeing.

 But Bieno was nothing compared to what I was now seeing