Chapter 21: Power Duel [part 2]

As if my words, my provocation, my taunt, had flown at him, here he was before me, in his bird form, the God of the air himself.

It was strange, to feel that a bird could have so much power, but it had become more than clear to me when I saw how he had taken down two mighty Angelis in a single moment.

With just a flap of his wings, he could finish me off.

'He says you must pay for what you said,' Brennus stated, changing his previous face from annoyance to satisfaction.

I could not let my guard down at this point. I had dared to offend a God, I could not be frightened now.

'If he has something to say to me, let him tell me, I will not speak to his pathetic lackey.'

I felt the look on Caelus' face. It was not one of concern, but of pride. I could be tough too if I wanted to be. And at this moment it was more than necessary to be strong. There was nothing left to lose. Or so I thought.

'You do have courage, human.'

His voice boomed inside my head, so loudly that I had to clutch my sides with my hands, trying to regain consciousness, without losing myself in the pain I felt in my mind.

'At last we meet, Ventus,' I said, trying to recover from the pins and needles in my head, indicating with my hand that it would be alright to Caelus.

'You are nothing but an insolent child, you cannot think you can just demand to speak to a God,' he replied, his low tone rumbling loudly in every corner of my head.

'I just want your sign, you know I earned it, even if your heir doesn't want to face it.'

As if I could tell from his tone of voice the smile he was wearing, I knew I had lost.

'Do you think that is why I am here? To tell you that you are a winner? No... I am here to destroy you once and for all. If my siblings are not up for it, I will gladly do it myself.'

My heart began to pound, my hands trembling, my legs losing the strength to support me. What did he mean by that?

I was prepared to have the air knocked out of my lungs, to be defeated right there and then, in front of almost everyone I loved. That would be the end of the story of Gaia of Crescendo.

'Gaia...'

Caelus fell to the floor, holding his chest, his breathing ragged, the sword bouncing off the cold stone. I threw myself down beside him, holding him, trying to understand what was happening.

My gaze drifted to the side.

Mena, Aurora, Polar, Rayn, all fell to the ground at the same time, jerking in pain as Caelus did.

I searched my twin flame's eyes for the answer and I knew. Ventus was sucking the air out of them, killing them slowly until they were finished.

'Stop!' I urged, perhaps as a demand, perhaps as a plea.

'The best way to destroy you, to stop you from this foolish quest for power, is to take away everything you love.'

He was right, that was the cruelest thing. He could hurt me and I knew I could take it, but hurting the ones I loved was what I couldn't take. Losing them would be too much, I couldn't let it happen.

If he wanted to duel, it would be a power duel.

Fire

I wouldn't let them win.

Water

I would show him that I was powerful too.

Earth