Chapter 8 "Light through Darkness" [part 2]

Light faded away.

Darkness covered my eyes and all I could see was an enemy.

My shadows began to emerge from my body, circling around me.

I have to fight, I have to control them.

I held them as long as I could, but it was almost impossible to control them.

Whenever they came out they had only one purpose.

To hurt.

'Laia, you can control it. Concentrate Laia.'

Mena knew who I was.

I was sorry to say that this wasn't the first time something like this had happened to me in front of her.

The last three months had been complicated, the darkness taking over more times than I would have liked.

But this time it was different.

The fear of losing Caelus, the anger against Phoenix, the new power pulsing in my veins.

It all came together to make the shadows stronger.

I must control myself.

You are weak.

Because of you everyone will suffer.

I began to fight them, trying to achieve the impossible, to win over a monster that lived inside me, a monster that lurked all the time waiting to attack.

No matter how hard I tried to get back to the light, the power of the shadows was too much.

I needed help.

'Sister, please come back.'

Mena wouldn't budge from her place, convinced that I could win that battle. She wouldn't abandon me even at my worst.

A pounding on the door interrupted my mental fight, causing the shadows to move even closer to Mena.

'No!' I shouted in opposition.

She can hurt him.

We must protect him.

'No, please, not her,' I fought with myself again.

Mena wouldn't move, she didn't want to move.

No matter how much the knocking on the door continued, no matter how much it would be the sensible thing to run away, she wouldn't leave.

After several knocks, the unexpected happened.

The door flew off, someone had broken it with a kick.

Only one person could have that much strength.

'Gaia.'

Caelus entered the chamber, not showing any fear.

He quickly positioned himself next to Mena, together both of them trying to give me back control.

'Listen to me Gaia, they will try to convince you that you are not strong enough, but you are.'

He makes you suffer.

He is the reason for all your sorrow.

'Gaia, you can do this, you are stronger than they are,' Mena added.

She lies.

She always lies.

The shadows continued to move around me. I held them back but I knew that if I stopped, just for a second, I would hurt two people I loved.