CHAPTER 24

After completing the final rites of his dead father, Bharat declared before ministers and rishis that he doesn't desire the throne of Ayodhya rather he was determined to bring Shri Ram back.

He ordered an entire contingent including Rishis, ministers and the three mothers as well to get ready to go to forest and request Shri Ram to return.

He wanted to coronate Shri Ram in the forest itself and then come back in a triumphant procession. Everyone was welcome to join in the expedition and many did join. So to protect all these Bharat decided to take an entire army of battalion with him.

But there was a problem, Shri Ram, Devi Sita and Lakshman had travelled from Ayodhya to Chitrakoot partly on chariot and partly by walking through the forest. However the size of contingent that Bharat was planning to take along, walking through the forest wasn't an option.

Still that wasn't going to stop him, Bharat commissioned a levelled road to be built to allow everyone to travel on horses and chariots comfortably. Artisans of all kinds like excavators, mechanics, engineers and architects, road menders, carpenters, tree cutters, well-diggers, tanners, whitewashers and plasterers were set to the task of this road construction.

Their work involved clearing bushes, levelling surfaces, cutting trees that came in the way, planting flowering trees by the pathways, filling holes and pits along the way, digging wells and freshwater ponds for the travellers at regular intervals, bridging streams, breaking rocks and boulders, building platforms by the water bodies for the travellers to rest, pitching tents along the route among other.

The contingent left on an auspicious day to bring Shri Ram back. On the way, Nisadh-raj Guha learnt of Bharat's expedition. At first he assumed that the Kaikeyi-nandan was instigated by his mother and was heading to kill Shri Ram.

Determined to stop Bharat on his tracks, Guha put his forces on alert. But after meeting him, Nisadh-raj's fears were allayed. Guha informed Bharat about the direction where Shri Ram, Devi Sita and Lakshman had went.

Not only that, Guha also arranged for 500 boats to take the entire contingent across Ganga river. And then they met Rishi Bharadwaj who directed them to Chitrakoot.

When the brothers finally met, Shri Ram and Lakshman were overwhelmed seeing the task undertaken by Bharat. But the news of Dashrath's death made them sorrowful.

As prescribed in scriptures, Shri Ram offered Jaldaan to his departed father as a son should. As per the rituals he also made an offering of wild fruit to his father.

Kaushalya was sad seeing her son who had grown up in luxuries and who not so long ago had the best delicacies for consumption and offering was now reduced to make an offering only of a wild fruit.

"Ek Rajkumar ko aisa chadhawa chadhana shobha nahi deta." Kaushalya choked as she spoke.

"Jo manushya grahan karta hai, devta bhi wahi grahan karte hai. Hey Pita-maharaj, iss chadhawe ko aap swikar kare." Shri Ram said without regret.

And after the rituals were performed, offerings were made and everyone was finally seated, Bharat requested Shri Ram to return to Ayodhya. Everyone supported Bharat's request.

Rishi Vasisth and Rishi Jabaali also made a case for the return of Ram. Jabaali made some interesting comments.

"Manushya janm akele leta hai, aur mrityu ko bhi akele praapt karta hai. Iss liye Mata, Pita aur Bhrata ke sabhi sambandh nirarthak hai. Koi kisi ka kuch nahi. Jaise ek yaatri aaj iss gaao mei vishraam karega, aur kal kisi aur gaao mei, manushya ke rishte bhi iss prakar vishraam ke sthaan ke bhaati hai. Iss liye inse itna judaav uchit nahi. Maharaj Dashrath swarg ko sidhaar gaye hai, ab tumhara unse koi sambandh nahi raha, aur naa hi unhe diye vachano ka koi arth. Yeh sabke durbhagya mei hoga ki tum Rajya tyaag van mei raho. Ram, punah laut ke Ayodhya sambhalo." Jabaali said.