CHAPTER 29

"Kaam aur Krodh, saath mei sadev vinaash laate hai." Srinav said.

"Satyavachan. Aur Shurpnakha unme se nahi jo bina pratishodh liye shaant baithe." Amarsri said.

And they were right. For that old Rakshashi went straight to her cousins Khar and Dushan, the custodians of Panchvati.

She stromed into the room they were sitting and told everything to them and asked them to seek revenge. Khar and Dushan along with 14000 troops went to the Parnakuti of Shri Ram.

But the son of Dashrath single handedly killed them all. Shurpnakha was in shock, she fled to Lanka to get help from her eldest brother, Ravan himself.

But she was appalled to see the King of Lanka unaware of the happenings of Panchvati and killing of his own cousins. He was negligently revelling in the luxuries of Lanka.

This enraged Shurpankha, she was already angered at the disfigurement of her face and killings of 14000 rakshas troops along with Khar and Dushan acted as salt on her wounds.

And here was the so called 'Trilok vijayi' Ravan who was so ignorant of his duties that he didn't see that two ordinary humans were challenging his authority. Shurpnakha started to rebuke Ravan for his laid-back attitude and negligence.

Ravan became embarrassed after being rebuked by his sister, and told her to tell her about the happenings in Janasthan in detail. But even after Shurpankha telling him about the battle between Shri Ram and forces of Khar and Dushan, Ravan remained unperturbed.

Shurpnakha knew that the disfigurement of her face, the death of his cousins Khar and Dushan along with death of 14000 Rakshas troops, sadly wasn't enough to incite him to get on his feet.

"Ram ki ek patni hai..." Shurpnakha now decided to hit his weak spot.

"Patni ?" Ravan asked raising his brow with interest.

"Ha. Uski badi-badi mrigh-samaan netra hai, sone sa rang hai, raatri ke samaan kaale aur ghane kesh hai, surya ke bhaati har ek ang chamakta hai. Aisa lagta hai ki van mei swayam Devi Lakshmi vicharan kar rahi ho. Ram ki patni aur koi nahi, Videh ke Raja Janak ki putri Sita hai." Shurpnakha said.

She was measuring each word of hers, and carefully observing the body language of Ravan, who was now on the edge of her seat.

"Jo bhi Purush Sita ko apni patni roop mei praapt kare woh dhanya hai. Gun aur Saundarya adwitiya hai ! Aisi Nari maine puri prithvi par kahi nahi dekhi ! Woh streeyo mei mani ke bhaati hai, waise mani jo tumhare patni honi chahiye. Tumhare alawa koi uske yogya nahi hai bhaiya." Shurpankha said.

Every inch of Ravan's skin was craving Sita now. Shurpnakha's words had effected him.

"Bhaiya, mai toh Sita ko tumhare liye laane wali thi. Kintu isse pehle Mai use utha paati, Ram ke chhote bhai, woh dusht Lakshman ne mere kaan aur naak kaat diye." Shurpankha lied.

"Lakshman...." Ravan gritted his teeth, he was angry at Lakshman, not because he disfigured his sister, but because of him Shurpnakha couldn't bring Sita, as she claimed.

"Satya kehti hu, yadi ek baar Sita ko dekhoge toh sudh-budh kho ke Mohit ho jaoge. Yadi Sita ka sukh chahiye toh use apni bana lo bhaiya. Kintu smaran rakhna, Ram asadharan yodha hai pratyaksh yudh se usko harana asambhav hai. Iss liye Sita ko kaise praapt karoge, yeh soch vichaar Lena." Shurpnakha added slyly.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

So you see, Ravan didn't kidnap Mata Sita because he wanted to avenge Shurpankha's insult. Nope. He didn't gave a damn that his sister was disfigured and cousins killed.

He got on his feet once Shurpankha told him about beauty of Devi Sita and lied that she was planning to get her for him. And even in that he wasn't angry at Lakshman for cutting off nose and ears of his sister, but for not letting Shurpnakha 'bring' Sita.

I mean.... Do you really think that a man who didn't think twice before raping Rambha, who was equivalent to his daughter-in-law will care for the honour of his sister ? Unlikely.

And one interesting thing about this part of Ramayan is that while rebuking Ravan, Shurpnakha gives him a discourse about imprtance of vigilance for a King.

Well

Well.... Shurpnakha you did deserve the punishment given by Lakshman.... But you also deserved a brother better than Ravan.