Chapter 10

~Waluigi remained in the security room, newly armed with the handgun he'd just retrieved. This was going to be the most important moment, the one that defines the whole night. The one that defines the fate of everyone left. He couldn't afford to leave anything to chance. Scanning the room for anything that could be remotely useful, nothing caught his eye.

He looked down at the gun that his left hand tightly gripped. It seemed oddly convenient. Maybe too convenient?

I mean, it seems real, he thought. But he wasn't about to test-fire it or anything like that.

Waluigi faced the drawer that held the gun moments ago. He pulled on it, extending it fully. To his surprise, he noticed what he assumed to be switch. His hand dug into the back of the drawer, briefly protruding in for a moment. Like he had struck a hidden button or something, he thought.

A sudden noise sounded, and his head spun around.

Waluigi approached the wall, the painting of Bowser's castle facing him. He squinted his eyes, set his ear to the frame, even rubbed his fingers on the surface, but it remained still.

Something must be up with it, he thought. But there's little time. As far as he knew, Toad was still around and dangerous. He didn't want any more of his friends to fall victim.

So he left.

. . .

Waluigi was on his way to the main lobby; Rosalina had told him to meet her there earlier. Hopefully, that's where everyone is at. Make it easy to put a stop to this once and for all.

Once he arrived at the lobby, he unfortunately didn't see anyone. However, he did see light emitting from the nearby conference room.

Where we started this night from, he remembered.

Hesitantly, he peeked his head through the doorway.

"There he is!" Wario bellowed.

A sigh of relief was let out, seeing his old friend still intact with everyone else. Toad, Yoshi, and Rosalina were also sitting at the conference table.

"Yeah, I'm here," Waluigi confirmed. "Where's-"

He stopped as his eyes shifted over to the seat taken by Toad.

"What's your problem?" Toad's face scrunched up.

"Hey, chill out," Rosalina urged him. "The reason we're here is to limit chaos. Remember?"

"We haven't seen him for an extended period of time," Yoshi pointed out.

"Because I fought the killer!" he countered. "And I know who it is."

The room filled with gasps.

"Shit, who is it?" Wario was the first to speak.

"Wait, wait, wait, time out!" Toad intervened. "Why does YOUR word matter? Nobody can account for you being gone anyways."

"I was there!" Waluigi fired back. "What more do you want? The killer had some weird outfit to protect their identify, too."

"Okay, just say who it is! I want to go home," Wario flailed his arms.

A few moments of silence proceeded, then Waluigi sighed heavily.

"It's Toad."

Yoshi, who was sitting next to Toad, jumped out of his seat immediately and dove behind Waluigi for cover.

"Oh my god!" Rosalina shrieked. "What do we do now?"

"End this," Waluigi said, bluntly. "Once and for all."