Chapter 27

The group traveled farther into the dark abyss they now called home. Constance seemed to have an idea of where she was going. Bill and Brant stayed by her side while Sammy and Buddy kept Rosa and Parker ahead of them at all times. There was no telling where they would wind up if they weren't careful. The place creaked and sent whispers in every direction as they continued onward. Constance moved closer to what looked like a trash can in the wall. She grabbed onto the handle and pulled it down, yanking it as it was partially stuck from the slight rust that grew around the edges.

Once open, she ushered Sammy, Buddy, Rosa, and Parker to gown down first before going in after them. Brant and Bill looked around them one last time before they went in, closing the door behind them. To the crew's shock, they weren't in a garbage can, but rather in a chute that functioned as a slide. There were several bumps and turns as they made it to the end of the garbage disposal and found themselves in a new area. Rosa and Buddy helped the others up off the ground as together they looked around wondering where they were. "Constance, are you sure we went the right way? I don't remember this part of... wherever we are." Bill asked.

Constance quickly scanned the new place and shook her head. "I'm pretty sure this is it. I know what I'm doing! But it's been a whole week since I've been down here without you two."

Her two companions sighed in defeat as she began to explore. Parker recognized this place to be some sort of locker room. Rosa and he took their time exploring every corner of the room where they could walk out and get to another section. Rosa opened a door that led to an open area. The new setting was a bar or a diner that allowed the employees to eat. Parker was confused. There hadn't been employees in decades yet there were spreads of chewed food laying across from there.

Seeing a piece of a donut on the ground, Buddy used a small cloth to pick it off the ground. Sammy looked at it closer and shook his head. "We're not alone... There's someone down here with us." Just as Sammy acknowledged this, a door slammed open. Panicked, everyone hid wherever they could. Sammy, Bill, Brant, and Constance moved into the shadows and darker sides where they knew they could blend in. Buddy went inside a locker and shut the door. Parker and Rosa hid in two crates that sat underneath a table.

Another ink creature came out grumbling and muttering things under their breath the others couldn't understand clearly. It sorted out a few things in the eating area, tending to it as if it were a functioning restaurant. It took a stack of plates away from the table that Parker and Rosa used to cover their tracks. Once it was gone, they took the chance to move around the tables in the room to get to another side. Since Sammy and the others were already on the right side of the room, they could only watch as Rosa and Parker struggled to get to them without making noise. The creature grumbled some more as he moved objects around a table.

"Darn workers... Think they own the damn place just 'cause they work here. If someone doesn't pay up I'm gonna have issues." he rambled as the two teens continued to escape. But when Parker stood up, his shoulder hit the edge of the table and knocked over a cup that hit the ground and broke. Rosa covered her mouth to hide the gasp that almost came out.

"I'm gonna kill whoever's in here!"

Seeing the crates on the ground, Parker pulled Rosa down and the two used them to hide. "Show your damn face!" the creature shouted once more. The two teens watched the creature circle the room. "I'm going to be really unhappy if you don't just show your face." the Lost One hissed. Very slowly they approached their table, their feet squishing all the while. Parker barely peaked out seeing that he was close. "I know you're here..." he taunted. I would've seen you go out but apparently, all you want to do is hide. Tell me," he went on, slowly making it to their side. "How ignorant do you think I am?!" They poked their head under the table and stared straight into the teens' eyes. Both Parker and Rosa shouted out of reflex. The Lost One reached in and began trying to drag them out. Parker managed to grab onto his Gent pipe and smacked them right along their face. Rosa then pushed them down to the ground as they made a run for it.

Buddy raced over and began to urge them in a certain direction. Sammy fended off the Lost One who was then joined by two others. All of them managed to get inside another section with a gate. Constance and Bill managed to shut it just as the others had entered the room. The other Lost Ones began to bang on the gate's edges to try to get in. "Someone do something!" Constance shouted. In the corner, there was a chain that still had a lock on it. Parker picked it up and raced over to wrap it around the door and the post. Constance and Bill backed away. "This way! I found a way out!" Brant urged as he began to run. Everyone chased him down to get away from the chaos and went down a hallway that was slightly narrow. "How does this never get old?!" Parker huffed as they ran down a stairwell. "Maybe because nobody's trying to die!" Sammy shouted annoyed. "Listen- I personally would love to find a new way of life someday! But- I don't think that's gonna be anytime soon!" Bill cried as they ran more and more.

A few more places had left them astray. "Brant I think we're lost." Sammy sighed. "What?! No! We can't be!" Suddenly there was a loud crash behind them. They turned around to look behind them to see what had made that sound only to see a hole made in the ground. Then they realized that Buddy was nowhere to be seen. Panicked, Sammy raced over to the hole and looked into the opening.

Buddy had fallen through three whole floors.