Chapter 45

~ 5 months later ~

Christmas was upon them at last. Everyone's first Christmas since 1963 at least. Parker cleaned everything in the diner he now worked at and sighed seeing everything in place. His boss smiled seeing everything tidied up. "Not bad kid! Honestly, you've impressed me ever since you came back to town."

"Thanks, Mr. Garret! I really enjoy this place. Especially since you've helped everyone recover from the Joey Drew incident. This is the only place that looked familiar to them." Parker replied. "Oh yeah, that's right. Did the tall one ever figure out how to use his cellphone?"

"Who? Sammy? Yeah, he did, but only after three times calling the police on accident!"

They both shared a laugh and smiled. "Well, enjoy your party kid. I'm off to go spend time with my wife! Don't forget to lock up when you're through!" the manager replied, leaving the place. Parker saluted him off before having the whole place to himself. His parents understood that he was having a special time with everyone from the whole ordeal before. The whole diner was still decorated for the holidays as he sat down at a booth and pulled out his cell phone. He paused as he stared at the lock screen photo of Rose and him posing for a selfie. The feeling left a warm feeling in his stomach.

Suddenly the door's bell rang as Sammy, Susie, and Buddy walked inside. "Woo! This place is mighty clean! Honestly Parker, you really outdid yourself! It's nice to be back at a place like this!" Buddy told him. "Buddy, we saw this place three days ago. The only thing that's changed is the table arrangement." Sammy said to him, slightly annoyed. "I know! But to me, this is fine dining! It's not my fault you can't even be happy on the happiest day of the year."

Sammy opened his mouth to defend himself but nothing came out. Susie rolled her eyes and put her hands on his shoulders to turn to Parker. "Merry Christmas Parker! Sammy and I got you a little something for your gifts. It's not a lot, but we wanted you to have it." she told him. Taking the two gifts, Parker unwrapped Sammy's gift of his first record on vinyl. "Woah! This is your first song! But... it's not cursed right?" he asked him. "Obviously not! I found it in my apartment when I was going through my old things. This has a better beat to it anyways. Besides, I know you're into records now." he replied. Parker smiled and thanked him before unwrapping Susie's gift.

Hers was a little more creative. It was a brown and white dog plushie that looked similar to his dog Hudson. "Aw, how cute! I love it, Susie. It looks just like Hudson! Where did you even get this?" he asked her. "A little street vendor was selling them at that festival that happened a few weeks back! I knew when I saw it you just had to have it!" she responded, tapping his nose.

"Well, thank you both. I really appreciate it." Parker replied. "Oh! Don't forget mine! I also picked out something I thought you might like!" Buddy insisted, giving him a box. Parker slowly opened it up seeing a Boris mug. "Oh, that's so cool! Thanks, Buddy!" he thanked. Buddy dipped his hat and then the two went into the kitchen to get food ready. Sammy and Susie began to prepare everything. While getting preparing everything, Wally, Bill, Brant, and Constance arrived at the diner. Wally shivered as he wiped off snow from his jacket.

"OMG! PARKER!" Constance shouted, announcing their arrival. "I keep forgetting she's more outgoing nowadays." Brant sighed. "I think it's better to be that way in general! Especially after everything we've been through," Bill replied. "Yeah, I suppose you're right." Wally brushed his coat off and huffed. "If it doesn't stop snowing outside, I'm going to be trapped in a snow heap! I tell ya' if it doesn't get warmer sooner when winter ends, I'm outta here!" he ranted. "I know you aren't going anywhere, Wally!" Bill chuckled.

Tom and Allison walked into the diner and happily greeted everyone else that had walked into the building. Parker came out to see them with open arms. Buddy cheered as he came out with the side dishes. Everyone else began to help him out with setting the table. "Tom, did you bring it?" Allison asked her husband. "Huh? Oh yes! Parker!" Tom said, calling out to Parker. The boy turned around and saw Tom giving him his old toolbox. "Oh, thanks, Tom! I can't wait to use these! Especially since I've been making repairs on my new bike!" he said, hugging the older man. The touch made Tom slightly flinch but he relaxed. He didn't have to be on edge anymore. Allison took her chance to hug him too. "Thanks for distracting him. He's been sort of rough since the machine went down."