Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Gothel was applying her makeup and getting ready to go out for the day when she heard a soft cry coming from the other room.

"Ugh. Why is that child so needy? I'm coming, Cassandra!"

"You don't have to come, Gothel," Zhan Tiri reminded the mother, who hated her new job description.

"Wait, I don't? Then why have I been wasting my time tending to her for the past six months?"

"You have to tend to her sometimes. But if she ate today and you've changed her napkin, then she's probably fine. Let her cry".

Gothel went back to putting on her ruby red lipstick as little Cassandra continued to cry.

"Why does that little irritation keep begging for my attention?"

"Like I said, let her cry. She'll be fine, and if she's not, you can always have another child".

"No!" Gothel wailed at that thought. "I'm coming, Cassandra! Mommy's coming!"

Gothel prepared a bottle for Cassandra and then put her back to sleep, not knowing that what she actually needed was her napkin changed, and not caring enough to change it had she known.

"Finally. Peace and quiet".

"My Dearest Cassandra," Cassandra began to read.

"I'm writing you this on my deathbed, and I'll be gone by the time you receive it. I'm terribly sorry for how I treated you growing up; you never deserved to be looked down upon simply because you were ordinary. Yes, Rapunzel has magical hair that kept me young for eighteen years, but you have a fighting spirit that I've never seen before. I'm only sorry that it took me dying to see it".

Wow. Cassandra's mother thought she had a fighting spirit? Then again, she also said she was ordinary. Cassandra decided to keep reading.

"While I'm still here, I wanted to tell you about a secret I only recently learned of. While Zhan Tiri's main goal was to unite the sun drop and moonstone and use their powers to destroy Corona, she also had another plan in mind."

What was she talking about? Zhan Tiri's plan was always to unite the sundrop and moonstone to set herself free from her prison and destroy Corona. What more could she have possibly wanted?

"You see, when Lord Demanitus and Zhan Tiri had their final battle over two millennia ago, One of Lord Demanitus's secret treasures was buried with his disappearance. He left behind seven keys and several clues necessary to find this treasure, and one of the clues is here in the castle of Corona. Zhan Tiri tasked me with finding the first clue, but I never could. I have no doubt that you will find it and use Lord Demanitus's treasure for whatever you're destined to use it for".

Oh, so now Cassandra's mom wants to send her on a treasure hunt? After all the belittling, telling her she was no good, and favoring the golden girl Rapunzel, now she thinks Cassandra is special? Cassandra wasn't buying it, but still read on.

"I love you very much, my dear. I may not have been able to show you what true love looks like, but I'm thankful for the people in your life who did. I'll see you in a bit, my lousy little pest".

Lousy little pest. Where had Cassandra heard that term before? Oh yeah, that was the endearing term her mother called her. Nothing sweet like "flower" or "sunshine"; nicknames like those were reserved for Rapunzel. Not that Cassandra blamed Rapunzel; she knew they both endured different abuses. Still, she couldn't help but wonder how her childhood had been different if she had loving parents like Rapunzel did. Would she still be cold and icy? Would she still be so apprehensive about finding love and having children? Not that she ever wanted kids in the first place, but having the mother that she did made her deathly terrified of the idea.