Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Good morning, class".

"Good morning, Lady Gothel".

"Today is Monday, October 12, and we will start our lesson with a puzzle!"

Cassandra and Rapunzel were so excited to be doing a puzzle together. Their mother never let them do anything fun during school! This would definitely be a school day for the girls to remember.

"Now, here is your puzzle, Cassandra, and Rapunzel, here is yours".

The girls were confused as to why they were getting different puzzles. They wanted to work together!

"Mom, why can't Rapunzel and I share a puzzle?"

"That's Lady Gothel to you, Cassandra!" Gothel got out her ruler and slapped Cassandra across the wrist. "And working together admits weakness. You don't want to be weak, do you?"

"I am not weak!"

"Yelling is not necessary, Cassandra, and I didn't think so. Now both of you can get puzzling!"

Night had fallen upon Vardaros, and Rapunzel had been looking everywhere for Cassandra. Where could her sister be? Rapunzel finally decided to look in what should've been an obvious starting point: Cassandra's tent.

"Hey, Cass? I just wanted to say..." Rapunzel began while cautiously entering into Cassandra's tent, Rapunzel's lantern securely in her hand. Rapunzel began looking around the residency and found all sorts of weapons, from targets with arrows, to halberd heads to morning stars to swords! Pascal creeped slowly behind his princess friend, feeling slightly afraid of Cassandra's belongings.

"Cass? Cass?" Rapunzel called out again. She soon found a wooden table with a giant black cloth draped on top of it. She decided to remove the cloth and, surprise surprise, found even more weapons. "Yeesh! What is Cass planning to do with that?" Rapunzel asked the surrounding air, gesturing toward one of Cassandra's especially pointy halberd heads. "Nothing says goodwill like nunchucks, I guess," Rapunzel picked up Cassandra's pair of nunchucks and held onto them disapprovingly. She then began to put the nunchucks back where she found them and turned around, grabbing her lantern as she turned, to be met with a terrifying clown mask with a long, pointy red nose and dark, lifeless eyes.

"Aah!" Rapunzel screamed as she jumped back from the mannequin. "Whew! Okay, looks like she's got the creepy clown events covered too, huh?" Rapunzel turned her back towards the clown, still talking to herself, to find Cassandra right behind her, glaring at her suspiciously.

"Aah!" she screamed again, tumbling to the ground and losing her grip on the lantern.

"Oof!" she finally cried while still on the ground. "Oh. Cass, hi. You're here". Rapunzel had now gotten back on her feet, retrieved her lantern, and had a giant smile smacked across her face.

"Of course I'm here. This is my tent," Cassandra snapped back. Unlike her sister, Cassandra had her arms crossed, was clearly annoyed, and wasn't faking happiness.

"What are you-" Cassandra had started to ask what Rapunzel was doing before a realization hit her like a ton of bricks. "Wait a minute. I know what this is about". Cassandra was now smiling successfully at Rapunzel. "You're here to steal my event ideas!" Cassandra pointed her finger at Rapunzel accusingly while backing Rapunzel into a wall.

"No, I'm not. Why would I do that?" Rapunzel asked defensively, her shoulders now tensed up and her face looking less than innocent.

"I just figured, since yours were so, disastrous" Cassandra whispered in a patronizing hush.