Chapter 3. Whiteout. The Night Kingdom.

Whiteout woke up, feeling blue. thinking about blue, red. Blood. She still had nightmares of these colors, she had nightmares of her brother killing her father but as colors over and over again. She felt tears run down her snout, and she sniffled. Once again she saw the colors in her mind. "AHH!" she cried in distress. Only moments later Thoughtful ran to her. Whiteout looked up, she wasn't in her old house, she was staying with Thoughtful and his family for a while. but she also went and stayed with Clearsight.

        "What is it?" he asked, breathing hard and skirting to a stop in front of Whiteout. Whiteout sobbed, making moaning sounds from time to time. Thoughtful sighed. "Were you thinking about Arctic again?" Whiteout collapsed onto her bed, still sobbing, and nodded. "You know," Thoughtful began, sighing. "maybe we should go flying or something, to take your mind off of-" he hesitated. "It." Whiteout nodded, seeing the colors again. Thoughtful helped her up and held her talons in his so he could help her balance.

        Whiteout didn't say anything as Thoughtful led her out of the room, through the cave, and outside. Once they were outside, they looked up at the clouds for a while, studying whether or not a storm would come. They did see lightning, but it was coming from where Agate Mountain was. Agate Mountain. Whiteout burst into tears once more. Thoughtful led her back inside. "Well, we can't go outside because of the storm." he said. "So what do you want to do?" Thoughtful knew Whiteout was crying, but he tried to ignore it.

         "Ah! I know!" he said, then he rushed over to a pile of board games. He came back carrying a game with squares scattered all over it. "Why don't we play, 'Scales And Squares'?" he asked. Whiteout sniffed a few times, wiped her eyes, and then nodded. "S-sure...." she said. Whiteout and Thoughtful cleaned off a place on the floor and played a blanket down so they would sit comfortably as they played. They played the game at least five times; and by the sixth time, Whiteout felt much better, and the colors of blue and red faded from her mind.

        They played for the rest of the night, until dawn came, only then did they decide to put up the game and sleep. "Do you feel better?" Thoughtful asked Whiteout. "Yup! I've got to go to bed though, I'm exhausted!" she replied happily. Then she skipped to her room and closed the door behind her. Whiteout didn't even look back, she felt so good. Maybe even good enough for a short flight by herself. She opened her window, barely thinking, and launched herself into the air.

        Lightning was still flashing in the distance, and thunder rumbled loudly overhead, but she didn't care. She was happy; all memories of blood had left her mind. She felt free. Whiteout flapped her wings hard as she soared up, into the sky. Rain splattered on her scales as she did all sorts of flips in the air. The storm got worse though, and Whiteout continued to fly in it. She was high enough that if there was a flash of lightning, it would hit her. And it did. A huge bolt of lightning flashed in the sky and went her way; the bolt hit her square in the back, and she fell.