Chapter 5. Fathom. The Kingdom of the Sea.

Fathom brushed Indigo's wing with his as he struggled to catch up to Clearsight. He couldn't believe it, Clearsight was here! He hadn't seen her in months! He felt so glad, and maybe a little less paranoid. Sure, Clearsight was in love with Darkstalker, but Fathom didn't think she was evil like him! Clearsight was a good dragon. Even if Indigo had her own opinions. He soared up and finally managed to reach Clearsight. She looked at him and smiled solemnly. They flew in silence for a while, but then the sun began to set behind the sea and they decided to head back to the beach.

        Once they made it back, Fathom and Indigo told Clearsight that she could go back whenever she wanted to, Indigo said it eagerly, as if she wanted Clearsight to leave. That's so weird. Fathom thought. They used to be friends. Clearsight hugged Fathom and told him that she would go home but he needed to send the seagull every day from now on. Fathom agreed, and he winced as he made a spell to have the seagull find her everyday at noon. Then he sent her back with the same seagull. "That was a short visit." Indigo said after she left. "Yes, it was." Fathom replied.

        Then he padded over to the forest and lay down beside a huge tree with branches that stretched out, across his head and provided shelter from the sprinkling rain that was now coming down. He enjoyed the rain, for he was a SeaWing, but he just wanted to be comforted by it right now. He loved to feel the mist from the water as it poured a little ways ahead of him; and how it made the beach seem like a wonderful paradise. He also liked how no one would be out in the rain, other than Indigo, and he wouldn't be bothered. He couldn't wait for the next day, when hopefully, Clearsight would choose to come back.

        Indigo flopped down beside him and stretched out her wings to let the rain drip onto them. "So," she said after a moment. "What should we do now?" Fathom shrugged, and watched the rain for a while in complete silence. He didn't seem to notice the bored sighs coming from Indigo, who was flapping her wings in the rain carelessly. "Ok," she said at last. "I'm too bored to sit here and watch the rain with sad eyes." she said. Fathom turned his head to face her, confused. "What? I'm not sad." he said, but the sadness in his voice betrayed him.

        Indigo rolled her eyes at him. "Yeah, and I'm an octopus." she said sarcastically. Fathom used this moment to change the subject. "Speaking of- erm, what happened to Blob?" he asked. Indigo eyed him curiously for a minute. "He's been here the whole time." she said, "How come you didn't notice?" Fathom looked around from where he was. "Where?" he asked. Indigo smirked and pointed at her tail. She flicked her indigo tail in front of her. Blob (Indigo's wooden octopus) was clinging to her with its eight wooden-but-most-definitely-alive tentacles.

        Fathom smiled. "I'm very glad you kept him." he said. Indigo moved her tail and lay down in the sand. Rain dripped off of the tree and onto her snout. She covered herself with one of her large wings. "Why wouldn't I?" she asked him. Fathom shrugged, deciding not to mention Pearl and how forbidden animus magic now was. Indigo seemed to notice what he was thinking, for she stood again and padded over to him. "Hey," she said. "You're not like Albatross." Fathom shivered, and she nudged him. "Don't worry. You will never be like him."

        Fathom hid his snout under his wing and didn't respond.