Chapter 22. Clearsight. Agate Mountain.

"...Are you alright?"

Clearsight blinked. She was staring directly at the bracelet, expecting it to force her into a miserable sleep. But no matter how long she stood there, nothing happened. It was as if Darkstalker truly hadn't possessed the bracelet. "Hm?" she asked idly, slowly looking away from the jewelry. She still had her arm raised for some reason.

         Darkstalker looked her up and down. "Are you alright...?" he asked carefully. His eyes were filled with confusion, and maybe a bit of hurt. "Wha-- oh, yes, I'm fine." she cautiously put her talon onto the ground, as if testing to see if it would still hold her up. "Alllll good." she forced a smile up at him, trembling slightly.

         "No, not 'all good.'" Darkstalker said with an unconvinced snort. "What's wrong? You're acting like you're possessed." Clearsight blinked again. "Uhhh, yeah. Sorry, I was uh-- I zoned out, is all." she left out the part where she thought he had tried to curse her.

         Darkstalker lifted a brow, or at least, the area above a dragon's eye, suspiciously but said no more.

         "So..." Clearsight started awkwardly. "Do you want to go outside? You've hardly seen any light in moons...." Darkstalker nodded, sweeping his gaze around the cave. "That sounds delightful, love." he said, a smile slowly forming on his face. Clearsight smiled back.

         And with that, Clearsight led her awakened lover through the cave. Once they made it outside, the sun was already low in the sky, but it still blinded Darkstalker. "Three moons!" he cried, shielding his eyes with one large wing. Clearsight laughed, her heart dancing with amusement as his eyes adjusted to the light.

         A grin across his face, Darkstalker surveyed the area below them. To the south was the Night Kingdom. To the east, the Kingdom of the Sand. Mountains and sand dunes surrounded them, as well as the beginnings of the rainforest in the west. "It's gorgeous. Just as I remembered...." He breathed deeply, relishing in the fresh air.

         Clearsight padded forward and leaned against him, feeling at peace within herself. "I'm so glad we get to see the sunset together.... After all this time." Darkstalker rested his head on top of hers gently. "Yes...." he trailed off, a faint smile twitching the corners of his lips.

         "Clearsight," he began, wrapping his wing around her. "Yes, love?" she asked. Darkstalker gazed dreamily at the Night Kingdom, which was a harsh black silhouette against the darkening sky. "I was thinking...." he said. He turned to look her in the eyes. "...Go on..." "Clearsight, you know I love you, right?" he asked suddenly.

         Clearsight's heart pounded. What was this about?

         "Yes, of course...."

         "Love, dearest, why should we have to remain like this? We've been through so much.... We don't deserve to hide in a cave."

         Clearsight was confused. "What's your point?" Darkstalker sighed and shifted, slipping away from her. He stood near the edge of a steep drop, sweeping a wing around to gesture toward the world around them.

         "Then why don't we rule together?" Darkstalker suggested.

         Clearsight's jaw dropped. "What?!" she cried. "Rule?? We have no experience! You were only just let out of this cave--" she looked away solemnly. Although she would keep objecting, she knew deep down that she wanted that future. One where she and Darkstalker would rule side by side, in love. Forever.

         Darkstalker paced toward her, clutching her talons in his own. "Clearsight, listen." he said in a hushed voice. "We could rule side by side. We could have feasts, power, honor, and be remembered as the greatest royalty of all time. Imagine that future...." He squeezed her talon. "Imagine all that we could do. Together."

         Clearsight had to stop herself from making any rash decisions. The bracelet was working now, for visions of the possible future flooded her mind. Some images were of her and Darkstalker, taking care of the kingdom together. Another vision showed her with dragonets... Darkstalker gazing at them with pride.

         But there was one vision... One vision that came and went too fast she could hardly see it. All she knew was that it was bad. But she wasn't sure just how bad.

         "Darky...." she murmured. "We're not ready for that. The kingdom wants you..." she couldn't bring herself to say it.

         "...the kingdom wants you dead."