Chapter 24. Fathom. The Deep Palace.

Fathom stood over the body of ex-queen Pearl, his lips turned up in a cruel smirk. About time she's dead, the monster inside of him thought. Fathom would have shuddered if it weren't for the fact that his body was entirely possessed. It was getting harder to break free from him-- to scream out or cry. He was merely a voice in the back of his own head. A hopeless, meaningless voice of anxiety and sadness.

Stop this.... he thought miserably. But the voice, his possessor, wouldn't listen; instead, he lifted his head to gaze regally at the other SeaWings. He lowered his spears a bit, as to let the dragons relax. They were still tense, so that hadn't worked. Fellow SeaWings! He said through Aquatic. The SeaWings, eyes filled with horror, watched him as he turned to address them all.

Your queen is dead. You must now bow before me, King Fathom. Fathom felt his heart drop into his stomach. His throat was knotted as he awaited the rest of what he had to say. Now... the possessor said, studying the bodies around him. Guards, clean up this mess. Three guards floating several dragon-lengths away swam closer, eyes looking this way and that, as if thinking a spear would impale them at any moment.

Fathom glared at them as they swam over and gingerly picked up the bodies of Pearl and her two royal guards. The three SeaWings appeared to be crying, but their tears were mixing with the water so fast it was nearly impossible for Fathom to tell. As they took the bodies away, Fathom's possessor twitched his talons, sending three spears in their wake.

Once they were out of sight, Fathom turned to the SeaWings yet again. All of you, head back into the palace. I will have one spear after every one of you, so don't get any ideas. The voice flashed, flaring his wings. The SeaWings nodded and began to make their way back into the palace, all of them trembling with fear. Finally, Fathom followed them. He looked around, searching for the throne room. Once he found it, he settled down on the largest thrown. He tucked in his wings and lifted his head, smiling as his gaze swept from the jellyfish near the ceiling of the room, to the four petrified guards protecting the entrance.

He stared down his snout majestically as he eyed the guards.

Don't just stand there, he said. Bow before your new king.