Chapter Twelve: Autumn Leaves

"We fell in love in October, that's why, I love fall. Looking at the stars, admiring from afar"

-We fell  in love in october by girl in red

October 1st. The first day of fall. Yes, I am aware that fall technically started 2 weeks ago, September 22nd, but for me, fall only really starts on October 1st, when the leaves turn orange and brown, and fall from the trees. I took a step out from the apartment, the door closing behind me. The air was crisp, my breath was visible in the cold breeze. I was wearing my mother's scarf, which had a gray and white pattern along it. It was wrapped tight around my neck, I grabbed on it and loosed it a little. I noticed a spot of dirt on my old beige fall jacket, I quickly took a hand out of my pocket and whipped it away. I was wearing my usual loose jeans, and my black Doc Martens. I took a few steps to the path by the building. I shivered a little, and touched my cold ears, which were probably red by now. The sun was covered by dim clouds, the sunlight only seeped through every now and then when the cloud moved slightly a gust of wind. I took a long breath, breathing in the scent of coffee from across the street. I tucked my hands back into my pockets, and walked down the path to the crosswalk that stretched along the road. After crossing the busy street, I made my way into the small building in front of me, the bookstore.

It was nearly empty, other than the shelves and shelves of books, that is. The only other person I could see was the old lady at the counter.

"Oh, good morning dear! Abby, was it?" She greeted me, noticing I was there as I stepped closer to the counter.

"Good morning. Yes, my name is Abby," I smiled.

"Can I get you anything today?" She asked, putting down a pencil.

"No, just browsing," I shook my head slightly, still smiling. I turned away, and walked over behind the shelf of previously owned books. I ran my eyes along the spine of all the books, reading the titles. One book, on the very top shelf, caught my interest. It was Anne of Green Gables, and I've heard that it is a classic, and written really well. I stretched my arm out, reaching for it, but it was just a few inches higher than I could reach. Damn you, short legs. I thought to myself, sighing in defeat. I went onto my tippy toes, and I still couldn't reach it. I could just ask the lady for help, but I'm not the kind of person to do that, you know, ask for help. I kept trying to reach it, multiple times, still failing. Until sudden, from behind me, someone else's hand reached and grabbed it with ease. I turned around, and of course, it was Itsuki; I wasn't surprised.

"Need some help?" He grinned, as if he was the kindest person in the world.

"Give it," I snapped, crossing my arms.

"What's the magic word?" He was still grinning.

"Give it now," I hissed.

"Nope. You're wrong," He laughed. I tried grabbing it from him, and in which he raised his arm up high over his head. "Oh wow, thank you Itsuki, you're the best! That's all you need to say." He teased me.

"Oh wow thank you Itsuki you're the best" I said in a mocking tone, quickly and quietly. He smiled.

"You're welcome," He replied, handing me the book. I rolled my eyes jokingly and smiled. We both laughed.

"How are you, Itsuki?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Pretty good. I have had a pretty boring weekend so far, though." Itsuki nods, putting his hands into the pockets of his dark brown sweat pants. I notice that the black beanie he's wearing has a pom pom at the top. How cute.

"Nice hat," I smile, complimenting him. "You look cute."

Itsuki crosses his arms.

"Why do you always tease me?" Itsuki glares. I smile, laughing a little. I touch his shoulder.