10) Apprehension

Once she finished her breakfast, Yaz cleaned up and walked back to her bedroom. Her steps slowed as she heard the Doctor moving around in the console room. She contemplated going straight to the Time Lord, but then again, asking someone on a date was often an action done when better dressed, she thought, as she turned to continue to her bedroom.

Yaz plopped down on her bed to scroll through her phone for a few minutes before deciding on what she wanted to wear. Once the thought of getting back up felt a little less daunting, she sat up, forcing her body into her normal routine. She changed into clean clothes, and went into the bathroom to finish getting ready. A french braid seemed nice enough to look okay, and kept her hair out of her face as she brushed her teeth and washed her face. Eye liner felt like enough makeup as the fam wasn't planning on leaving the TARDIS much, if at all that day.

As she left her room to find the Doctor, Yaz took a deep breath, thinking through what she was going to say. She figured she might as well be straightforward, leaving no room for the Doctor to misunderstand or miss any cues. Slowing just short of the doorway, she glanced around the console room to make sure Dan wasn't around. Noting that he wasn't, a small smile crossed her face as Yaz saw the Doctor laid on her back under the console, tinkering with one of the controls. Despite feeling nervous, she couldn't help being filled with warmth upon seeing her favorite person.

"Good morning" Yaz said gently, so she wouldn't startle her friend. She moved down the stairs, stopping to crouch a few feet from the Doctor.

"Morning," the Time Lord responded distractedly. She furrowed her brows as she pushed a few wires to the side so she could reach what she needed. "Just one second," her sentence paused, unfinished as she pushed something into place quite violently, causing Yaz to flinch.

"There, that should do it!" The Doctor slid out from under the console, still on her back as she looked up at Yaz. She felt a blush rise to her cheeks as she glanced over the brunette's outfit. "Good morning," she repeated, distractedly moving to sit on the nearby steps.

Yaz giggled and moved to join the Doctor on the steps. "You already said that bit, but good morning again to you I guess."

"Er, sorry," the Doctor mumbled, unable to come up with a decent explanation to her captivation with Yaz's appearance.

Accustomed to the Doctor's social awkwardness, Yaz didn't give it much thought before continuing. "What've you been up to?"

"Just some maintenance really, though I'm not entirely sure the TARDIS hasn't been adding in new bits of machinery while I haven't been looking." the Doctor sent a glare towards the crystal in the center of the room. The TARDIS responded with a grumble that seemed to sate the Doctor's frustration. "Have you got any plans for the day?"

"Actually, I was just thinking about that," Yaz responded, gently grabbing the Doctor's hand between them. "Would you like to go for dinner together tonight?"

A smile grew on the Doctor's face as she looked back towards Yaz. Her words a bit rushed, she responded, "I think that would be lovely! Where d'you want to go?"

"I've found a few options in that magazine Graham used to read, the Bandohzi Herald?"

"You mean where he got the coupons that took us to Orphan 55?" The Doctor answered, a bit apprehensive.

"Er, that one. But I'm sure not all of their offers are to orphan planets, right?"

"Right, I'm sure you're right." The Doctor squeezed Yaz's hand. "Find the coordinates for me by tonight and we'll head there."

"I can't wait," Yaz answered, placing a small peck on the blonde's cheek, then resting against her frame.

The Doctor fiddled with her hands for a second, remembering they weren't the only ones on board the TARDIS anymore. "Yaz?" she questioned.

"Yeah?"

"We, um, probably shouldn't bring Dan along right? But it would be rude to leave him stranded on the TARDIS while we go out, wouldn't you think?"

"I'll talk to him, he'll understand, " Yaz reassured her. "Now, I've got some reading to catch up on, since we've got another day off. We haven't had this long to relax in ages. I'll see you tonight?"

"See you tonight Yaz," the Doctor said, placing a gentle kiss on Yaz's lips before she left. 

A/N: Another part done!! I have been enjoying writing much more lately, but my personal schedule is also becoming more busy, so updates will likely still be a few weeks apart. There's more in the works right now :). Let me know what you think! Keep on being amazing! -A.