Chapter Ten

Smallstar and Blackfur sat next to eachother by the bushes surrounding the Sunningrocks and Mudpaw and Moonpaw padded over to the two together. "Moonpaw, you will hunt over by the twolegplace, but stay out of sight, behind the barriers of the nests." Moonpaw nodded as Blackfur spoke. "And Mudpaw... Hunt near fourtrees, on ThunderClan's side." Yowled Smallstar. Mudpaw nodded, obviously not ready, his eyesight getting worse. "Now go!" Hissed Blackfur. Both apprentices pelted off in the opposite directions.

Moonpaw stalked prey in the warm sunlight. A finch was hopping around in the snow. Moonpaw pounced onto the bird and bit it, killing it immediately. "Pretty fat for this cold weather, mind if you give that to me?" mewed a cat from behind Moonpaw. Moonpaw turned around, the bird in his jaws. There was a fat kittypet she. Her coat was long and her fur was brown with stripes and a white belly. "My name is Sunset, and you WildCats are always in my territory! You catch prey here, it's my prey!" Moonpaw hissed. "My Clan is hungry, if you want this food, you can join and eat it when I take it home." The kittypet rolled her eyes, "You'll never get me  in a Clan!" Moonpaw let out a mew of amusement. "No finch for you then." The kittypet hissed but Moonpaw kept hunting. The kittypet hopped onto her twoleg's nest's fence and hissed. "I'll see you again someday, and I'll either kill you, or you'll give me my prey." Moonpaw flicked his tail. "See-ya again when I'm dying!" Moonpaw replied as the kittypet ran away.

Moonpaw's eyes traveled to the river, which was beginning to freeze. At least it'll be easier to see Lostpaw. He thought. Moonpaw caught a mouse and put it into the pile of prey he caught. One finch, three mice, and a skinny young rabbit. Moonpaw grabbed his prey and padded off to the bushes by the Sunningrocks. "Smallstar, I have caught a lot of prey!" Mewed Moonpaw. Smallstar had been cleaning herself. "I know, we watched you. Put the prey down here." She mewed. Moonpaw put down the prey. Why is she acting so... nice?!  Mudpaw stumbled over to the bushes, his head held high and was loudly sniffing. In his mouth was a rabbit, robin, and something that wasn't prey... A kit! "I found this little guy shaking in the snow, he was the only thing I could see with my failing vision. Orange really stands out in the snow." Smallstar looked shocked and grabbed the kit out of his mouth. "You've found a beautiful kit... His eyes are a cute blue and his fur is clean. He is about 2 moons, We will make him a kit of this Clan, we'll put him in Riverstripe's litter." mewed Smallstar. Blackfur padded from behind Mudpaw. "I never noticed the kit! He could've froze..." Blackfur walked over to Smallstar and licked the kit all over to try and warm it. "I'd like to name him Rustkit." Mewed Blackfur. "Of course." Mewed Smallstar. Rustkit mewled nonsense but didn't say a single word. Smallstar gave Rustkit to Blackfur and he sat with the kit. "You did well, apprentices" Mewed Smallstar.

"Another kit?  You'll have to get two of me to get this Clan to keep going?" Mewed Riverstripe as Moonpaw gave the queen Rustkit. "I'm sorry. We have no other queens and our Clan needs to thrive once again." Mewed Smallstar, sitting beside Moonpaw. Smallstar looked at Moonpaw. "I will make you a warrior, once you're 12 moons, how about that?" Mewed Smallstar. Moonpaw nodded. Is... Smallstar a... Good leader?  Riverstripe looked at her son, excited. "Maybe Gorsepaw will get a real warrior name too!"