66. "Growing old with you."

Levi ran. The panting made him realise that he had never run so fast in his life. He had secretly left after his team training. That had been seven hours ago. Now it was after 11 pm. In less than an hour, the year was over. His best year. Wasn't it? "My best year so far." He had met Ayumi, made family plans in silence and his dream of owning his own tea shop had come a huge step closer three days ago. He now owned a house with shop on the ground floor.

Levi slowed his pace as he recognised the outline of the wall surrounding the Scout Regiment's area. The guards were standing at the entrance, talking. Erwin had not increased the number of guards. "If I do, some of the soldiers will try to leave. Then the mood will generally turn bad," Erwin had replied to Hanji when she had asked him whether he trusted the soldiers or whether he would control them more. Erwin's action had been successful. So far, no soldier had sneaked away from the area of the Scout Regiment. However, one reason to stay had certainly been the sumptuous meals around Christmas. Besides chocolate, cake and beer, there had even been meat. But Levi had only sat without appetite in front of his roast. It seemed like a last meal to him. "Sooner or later the rude awakening will come." Still he hadn't asked Erwin what was going on. Why they were training more. Why they had only done one expedition this year. Why they were getting horses, new 3DMGs and extra gas supplies. And last but not least: Why the Military Police had brought them meat. Was he afraid of the answer? He looked at the guards one last time, then swung himself over the wall with the help of his 3DMG and entered his room as Ayumi had once done: through the window.

As soon as his boots made contact with the ground, he quickly undid the buckles and took off his equipment. Hastily he analysed his rooms. He was alone. Had his latest absence gone unnoticed again? He glanced at the wall clock: ten minutes to half past eleven. With quick steps he went to his desk and opened the drawer with the two self-carved ships. He tore a piece of paper and put the small papers with pens into his chest pocket. Just as he was about to take the ships, the door to his office opened.

"Levi?" Ayumi sounded worried. "Where have you been? I've been looking for you? Why are you standing in the dark?"

Levi slammed the drawer shut before she stood beside him. "Are you okay? You're all sweaty." His girlfriend stroked his forehead. "Are you sick? Do you want me to get Steve?"

But Levi took her hand. "No, it's nothing." He took a deep breath. "Get your cape."

"What?" Ayumi looked at him with wide eyes.

"Put on your cape," Levi replied, pushing her ahead of him towards the bedroom. "It's cold outside."

"But why are we going outside? Everyone else is in the canteen," Ayumi said in confusion, opening the bedroom door at the last moment before Levi would have pushed her against it.

"We have to go to the river. Remember?"

"But," Ayumi began. That was as far as she got, however. There was a knock at Levi's office door.

The soldier quickly closed the bedroom door and walked with fast steps in the direction of the unexpected visitor. When he opened his office door, he saw Eld standing in front of him.

"Yes?," asked Levi, trying to sound as uninterested as possible. He had no time to lose if he wanted to be at the river on time with Ayumi.

"Um." That was all Eld could manage at first. After all, it was the first time Levi Heichou had opened the door for him. "Levi Heichou, I just wanted to check if training was indeed cancelled tomorrow," Eld said slowly.

Levi leaned against the doorframe, blocking Eld's way into his office room.

"Why should I have changed my mind?," inquired Levi.