Prologue

Silas: Age Eleven

Fire raged out of control, flames licking at my skin, my scream catching in my throat. I took one deep breath, then another, one more and then I was in action. Leaping off my bed, wrenching open my bedroom door even though the metal of my doorknob burned my skin. I bit back the yelp and scurried into the fire engulfed hallway.

"MAMA!" I screamed over the roaring flames, my back flush against the wall as I slinked toward my parents' bedroom.

"PAPA!"

I coughed into the crook of my elbow, sweat pouring down my temples, a sheen of it covering my face. I stifled a whimper, rearranging my features so I could look brave for my parents. Dad would be proud of me.

"SILAS?" I heard Cash's gruff voice from the other side of the stair railing near my room.

"Cash!" I cried out, voice breaking, before I could stop myself.

He came barreling through the thick smoke only moments later, his face a mixture of fear and relief. Despite my protests that I had to save mama and papa, Cash scooped me into his arms, cursing as he stared down to the first floor.

He set me down again, slinging off his cut before telling me to hold it in front of my face. I did as Cash said and watched over the edge of it as he broke the upstairs window with his elbow. He kicked out the rest of it with his thick boot, and then he was hoisting me up again, setting me on the roof outside. I fought to get back in, clawing and screaming at Cash.

"MAMA! MAMA!" I clawed and kicked and screamed in Cash's ear, hitting and punching at his shoulder and back while he climbed down to the ground with me in tow.

"Hush now, boy." Cash commanded.

Normally I always listened to Cash. He was my daddy's best friend, and the VP to the Horsemen, which meant he was a badass. Cash was kind of scary to everyone else, but he was always nice to me and brought me candy even when daddy said I couldn't have any. Cash would always wink and sneak me a piece or two, but this time I couldn't listen. I couldn't stop, I couldn't breathe. It was too hot, too scary, and I had to save mama.

Cash dragged me around to the front yard where multiple bikes now sat in our front yard. I recognized everyone. They were all Horsemen. They were the scariest, toughest men I ever knew, but tonight they all hung their heads, some even had tears running down their faces, others had their teeth bared in anger. Cash set me down, kneeling in front of me.

"I don't know how else to say this to you, son." Cash sighed heavily, running a hand through his dark hair.

He had soot on his face and arms.  His hands were slightly burned and were shaking when he reached out to grip my wrist.

"Your mama and daddy are gone. We tried, we all tried to save them, but we couldn't." His words hit and stole my breath from me. I swayed on my feet, but Cash snatched me upright, making me look into his eyes. "But we got you out. I know it's big and it's scary, but we got you now."

I shook my head, feeling embarrassed when tears slipped down my cheeks. I swiped at them angrily, hating the sad look that crossed Cash's face.

"I'm sorry." Cash sighed again, "Your mama didn't want this for you for a long time, but you're stuck with me now and the club is my life. It's all I got."

I thought about Cash's words for a long time, silence falling all around us as the other guys stared at us. I took a deep breath, looking around at everyone. This club was the only family I had left. I was only eleven, but my dad always told me I was the dark prince of the Horsemen. That one day I would grow up to lead them when he was gone. I let the breath out real slow like my papa did before announcing something important.

"It's all I've got now, too." I said, squaring my shoulders and meeting everyone's eyes head on, even as my own blurred with tears. 

                                                                                     #

Nora: Age Nine

I don't like this new basement. Our old one was filled with soft carpet and bright purple walls and so many toys. Mom said it was my space, but this new basement was nothing like that. This one was dark and damp and had a gross smell. I shivered, whimpering as I followed daddy down the stairs. He flicked on a few yellowy lights, and I cringed at the brightness.

"Come on, Nora. I don't have all day." Daddy huffed.

I whimpered again, and daddy dragged me off the last step into the middle of the floor.

"I want to go back to Gran's." I cried.

My Gran lived in South Carolina, and I missed her all the time. She never yelled at me, unless I slammed her screen door, and always cooked yummy food and played with me. I didn't want to leave her to move to stupid California, and I had to skip my last summer visit. 

Daddy whirled around and smacked me right across the face. I cried out, dropping down onto my butt on the cold floor, cupping my cheek. Daddy had never hit me before.

"Hush now, Nora. You're never going back there. We're never going back there. Do you understand me?" He barked.

Never going back to Gran's? My eyes widened and more tears threatened but I nodded instead, not wanting Daddy to hit me again. He watched me with a scary expression for a few moments, then he stalked off to a dark corner dragging a punching bag to the center of the room. It was attached to a chain from the ceiling and swung softly when he let it go.

"Get up." He ordered.

I stumbled to my feet, sniffling as tears streamed steadily down my face.

"Enough crying, Nora. You're not a baby anymore. You're almost ten years old."

I nodded again, not looking up, but this made him madder. He reached out, squeezing my jaw in his hand, forcing my face up.

"It's time to grow up. Do you understand me?" He demanded.

"Yes, daddy." I whispered.

"Dry those tears. Now. I want you to hit this as hard as you can."

"Why?" I asked, flinching when he shifted toward me, expecting another slap but instead he crouched in front of me. 

"Alot of bad people want to hurt me, Nora. They want money from me, and one way to get money is to... participate in competitions. Do you understand?" 

"Like... Fighting competitions? Like Karate?" I asked, sniffling. I'd taken Karate a year ago but didn't really like it. Mommy said I didn't have to keep going but maybe I'd like this better. 

"That's right, Nora. Exactly right. Don't you want to help me make money? To keep the bad people away?" 

I nodded. Of course, I'd do anything to keep my daddy safe. I did as he told me to do. I hit the bag, my hand aching. I didn't really want to do it again.

"Again." Daddy said.

My chin wobbled, but I reared my arm back and hit the bag again.

"Good girl. You're going to help make so much money." Daddy smiled wide. 

I grinned triumphantly, hitting the bag again and again.