- ten

Lavender;

"Cut!"

The word was yelled across the set of the arcade. They were in the process of filming Charlie's birthday montage and of course I had to watch it. This whole sequence was one of my favorites.

I skipped over to where Kit and Joe stood by one of the claw machines.

"Somehow, you boys always end up screwing up your hair within five minutes. How?" I laughed as I realized Kit's hair was all in his face and Joe's curls were askew.

I used my fingers to move around Joe's curls to where they should be, having to reach up because similarly to Kit, Joe is quite a bit taller than me. I sure as hell didn't get my dad's height like Alice did.

"You just have to be a perfectionist." Joe scrunched his nose and swatted my hands away.

My laughter filled the room as I turned to Kit.

I tried to avoid his gaze as I fixed his hair. Kit still wasn't in the greatest spot with me. I truly didn't understand why he was so against basically every decision i've made in the past week or so. It didn't feel great especially since I used to consider him one of my favorite people.

There was no doubt that Kit's eyes were searching my face, pleading for me to look him in the eye at least once.

But I couldn't.

Because if I did, those damn eyes would pull me back in and make me want to forget every single hurtful word he's spoken to me.

When my phone vibrated in my pocket I let my curiosity get the best of me. I let my fingers fall from Kit's strawberry blonde hair and fumble for my pocket.

Somewhere in the midst of me grabbing my phone, Kit walked away for a beverage and Joe began humming a tune.

It was a text from Alfie. 

Alfie🫶🏼: Tonight sound good? I can pick you up from your flat again.

I felt a smile tug at my lips.

I think i'll be able to escape around 7:30... sound good?

I shoved my phone back in my pocket and spun back to face Joe who promptly raised an eyebrow at me.

"What?" I quickly questioned, not liking to look I was receiving.

He chuckled, "What're you smiling at Miss 'I don't want to be here'?"

My face fell flat.

"None of your business."

Joe pointed an accusatory finger at me. "Let me guess. Your boyfriend who isn't your boyfriend is coming back to town tonight and he's taking you out."

Places were called and I caught Kit returning to where we stood out of the corner of my eye.

"Possibly." I glared at Joe, motioning for him to keep his lips sealed around Kit as I stepped backwards and out of the shot.

The curly haired boy laughed again before settling back into his spot. If he knew what was good for him, he'd keep the secret.

Shortly there after, 'action' was called and Charlie's birthday party sequence continued to be filmed.

"I really like you." Kit breathed out.

Joe looked somewhat surprised, "You like me?" His question was asked breathlessly.

"Wasn't that obvious?" Kit spoke with a soft chuckle. Both boys paused for a second, "Do you like me?"

"Yes! Obviously." Joe responded enthusiastically.

"Why are we like this?"

A soft silence fell upon the two, but it only lasted for a few seconds while Joe acted as though Charlie was building up the courage to say what he was about to.

"I want to kiss you so bad right now."

Kit acted nervous.

He looked down at his feet and then around the room. I only regretted still being in the room when his eyes locked with mine for a brief second.

He took in a deep breath, I wasn't sure if it was due to the eye contact or just part of him acting, but the breath definitely occurred post him making eye contact with me. "Okay."

"You don't have to."

"I want to."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

I watched in awe as Joe walked forward, initiated their kiss. It was soft and sweet and everything i'd wanted for Nick Nelson.

I remember Alice drafting this scene a few years back and being in awe of how perfectly it was written. And now here I am, watching it play out on real life people.

It was beautiful.

7:03pm

We'd spent all day filming every scene that goes alone with Charlie's birthday party and finally finished. Alice had given me a look of "go now or you'll be stuck til midnight" so I took my chances and made a run for it.

Not literally though.

I don't run.

"Lav!"

I paused in my tracks. Kit was running after me, still clad in his Nick costume.

Seeing as though I was quoted 7:13pm for my uber to arrive, I unfortunately had plenty of time to stop and figure out whatever it was Kit wanted.

"Kit."

He stopped just a foot or two away, breathing heavily as if he'd quite literally ran from the set we had been filming on. "You can't go."

What?

When had he figured out I was going out with Alfie tonight? Who told him?

"Not this again." I audibly groaned, letting him hear my annoyance. "Tell me why?"

Kit stood up straight, now towering over me like usual. "I've told you time and time again, he's not a good guy. I've seen the way he treats girls and I can't have him treating you like that—"

I held my hand up to stop him from talking.

"Why do you care so much, Kit? I haven't seen anything from him like you've been telling me. I honestly just think you're mad or jealous or whatever that i've got someone who actually wants me like Alfie does. Get over it. Get a life and stop trying to sabotage mine!"

At this point I didn't care if my words hurt.

Kit's entire demeanor changed. His usual bright eyes were now nothing but darkness.

"You know what, Lavender? Go for it, have fun. I don't care. Get hurt! Act like the entitled little bitch you think you are. Hell, ruin your fucking life, but don't come crying to me when Alfie goes back to being his old self again."

I've never felt my heart shatter before, but i'm pretty sure the pain i'm feeling right now is pretty damn close.

"You know this," I bit the inside of my cheeks to hold back my tears as I gestured to basically all of Kit. "This is not how I would expect my Nick Nelson to act. Maybe you weren't the best choice for the role."

both my babies are hurt and i'm sad