- twelve

Lavender;

The sound of the cinema doors swinging open caught my attention. A frantic looking Kit had burst into the building, now standing a few feet away looking around.

He came.

I'd found a spot on a bench off to the side a while ago, "Kit." I softly called out. I couldn't get myself to speak up.

His eyes connected with my shortly thereafter. He still looked somewhat panicked, but his facial expression softened when he saw my tear-stained cheeks.

The strawberry blonde rushed over to me, stopping a couple of feet away. "You probably hate me and you're probably gonna tell me that you told me so, but Alfie is exactly who you told me he was."

Kit's face dropped as he assumed what I was insinuating.

Then he looked furious. "I'm gonna kill him."

I reached out and gripped his forearm, stopping him from storming into the theater and beating up the boy who was supposed to be treating me well. "No, stop." His eyes caught mine once more, and I think the tears threatening to spill made Kit realize I needed him with me more than I needed him to punch Alfie. "He's not worth it. I've been out here for half an hour or so and he hasn't even texted to check on me."

His expression softened. "Come here." Kit grabbed my hands, pulling me to my feet and into his arms.

I whimpered as he pulled me into his chest. His hand held the back of my head and I let the tears fall.

Why do boys have to be so terrible?

"Let's get you home."

I panicked, jumping back. "No, no, no. I can't let Alice or Caleigh see me like this. They'll figure out Alfie did something and I don't have the money to bail them out of jail."

Kit sighed. He unfortunately knew I was right.

His hand slipped into mine, squeezing it. "Mine then?" He raised his eyebrows as he asked the question.

I slowly nodded.

Was I ready to just forget everything bad that happened between Kit and I? I'm not sure. But that didn't matter right now. I knew I couldn't go home and I still oddly felt safe with Kit. He'd never do anything to hurt me.

He led me to his car in silence, keeping me close by as he did. Almost as if he were nervous to let me out of his sight.

The car ride back to his flat was all I needed it to be. Kit kept his hand in mine, rubbing the pad of his thumb on the back of my hand to attempt to comfort me. He'd put on quiet music, a playlist he'd made a couple of weeks ago when I told him I needed music I could nap to.

Eventually, we made it back to his flat.

"Feel free to borrow some of my clothes to get comfortable... if you'd like." Kit broke the silence when he shut the door behind us. "And you can lay down for a few minutes and rest if you'd like."

I shot him a thankful smile, no words. I didn't have the energy for anything else.

I'd been here a few times before, so I knew exactly where his room was. He was always so tidy, so different from every other boy I know.

I shuffled through his clothing drawers, searching for sweatpants and an oversized shirt. Eventually I found what I was looking for and peeled off the outfit that reminded me all too much of the boy I wanted to forget entirely. Kit's bed was also far more comfortable than I thought it would be.

I'll lay down for just a few minutes, I just need to let myself rest and rejuvenate.