Saturday Practice

She didn’t call me.

                Nor did she show up for school the next day.

                And then it was the weekend.

                Saturday practice went just as predicted. Three hours running, break for lunch, followed by another three hours of running. Coach had us do drills in between laps, which may have possibly been the worst part. The sun was merciless, burning nearly every player’s skin.

                Coach was relentless through-out the whole day. He didn’t give us a break, shouting at anyone who showed the slightest sign of weakness. He was determined to keep us working to our full power for the entire six hours of training.

                “Do you actually want to win state finals or was this just an entire waste of a season?” He’d shout as we dribbled the ball up and down the field, dodging the obstacles in place.

We were on the last lap of the cool-down laps. Rodger and I led the exhausted group as we panted along, barely able to keep going. My breathing was coming in short and ragged, matching Rodger’s. Sweat was dripping off every part of my body. I wiped my forehead, trying to prevent it from falling into my eyes.

                The imaginary finish line was only a few feet away. I pumped my legs, trying to keep going just to cross it. Coach stood at the end, arms crossed over his bare chest.

                Every one had long since discarded of their shirts.

                As soon as I finished my lap, I stopped in my place, bracing my hands against my knees. I sucked in the air as quick as I could, my whole body moving.

                Rodger came up right behind me, collapsing on the ground next to me. He laid on his back, chest rising and falling with his intake of air.

                The rest finished shortly after.

                Coach handed out the water bottles that he had been kind enough to refill. I opened mine, tossing the cap on the ground. Pouring half of it on my head, I sighed in pleasure. The cool water ran down onto my chest, feeling amazing against my warm skin. I chugged the rest of my water bottle.

                Rodger held his up to me, “Do that to me.”

                I nodded, pouring his out onto his exposed chest. I trailed the clear line of water over him. His eyes closed in satisfaction. I handed him the bottle back when it was roughly half-way empty, taking a seat next to him.

                Looking around, I noticed most of the guys doing the same thing. Few remained standing, eyes directed at Coach who stood before us.

                “Alright boys.” He said, grabbing the rest of the group’s attention, “Good job today. I know I was rough, but I gotta whip you guys into shape. You’re starting to slack on the game and we can’t have that with states so close.”

                I rolled my eyes. It wasn’t as close as he made it seem.

                “Remember we have a home game next Friday and an away on Saturday.” He said, “Don’t forget your stuff. I’ll see you Monday for practice.”

                We forced ourselves up, body aching.

                I walked over to Coach weakly, running a hand through my hair. “Yo, Coach!”