Epilogue

*One Year Later*

                It was the spring of senior year, and senior fever was trickling in. As I sat in my government class, staring out the window, I felt my body getting antsy. The sun shined bright outside, illuminating our classroom.

                I drummed my fingers on the desk top, barely paying attention to what my teacher was saying. Only one more month before the end of my high school years.

                I couldn’t wait.

                My eyes moved away from the window to the other source of beauty across the room. Rose sat hunched over her desk as she scribbled notes furiously away on her notebook. I watched as she brushed the hair back again and again as it failed to stay tucked behind her ear.

                My eyes drifted away from the blonde to the clock, watching the second hand tick away the last seconds of the school day.

                After what felt like forever, the bell rang.

                I stood up quickly, throwing my books into my bag in an unorganized mess. All around me, kids did the same in an urgency to get out of the room. I walked down my row to the desk near the door where Rose calmly collected her things.

                She smiled when her eyes landed on me, standing up and grabbing my hand.

                “Hey,”

                “Hey,” I returned as we walked out of the classroom.

                “Do you need anything before we leave?” She started to direct us toward my locker, but I tugged on her hand, pulling her in the opposite way.

                “You already know the answer,” I smirked, tugging her to me.

                She grinned, rolling her eyes.

                Rose led the way out of the school, talking about her day. We didn’t have as many classes this year as we did last, and considering we only at two, it was sad. But I managed to see her after almost every period.

                It was a miracle she’d stayed with me for so long.

                “Can we see your niece?” She asked as my car came into view.

                I groaned, tilting my head back, “I swear, she’s the only reason you’re still with me after this long.”

                “Guilty.”

                I rolled my eyes, climbing into the car. Rose got into the passenger seat, pulling down the mirror to fix her appearance.

                “You look beautiful, dear.”

                “Yeah, well, I don’t want your sister thinking I’m a tramp.” She pulled out her lipstick, fixing the lips I had abused today.

                I watched her without turning the car on in interest. She rubbed her lips together to spread the lipstick around properly, her eyes focused intently on her work. A nasty idea creeped into my mind slowly.

                “Hey Rose?” I asked, wrapped an arm around the back of her chair.

                She turned her head to face me, “Yeah?”