Game Night.

“Mase, you’re in for Levi.” Coach said, looking down at the play in his hands. I glanced at the clock, pulling my shirt back over my head.

                The lights lit up the field, illuminating the players as they chased the ball down. My eyes scanned the audience briefly for any sign of Rose as I jogged into the field. I just made it halfway when the ball came soaring to me.

                It clocked off of my forehead and over to Rodger.

                He grinned at me for a moment before dribbling the ball in the opposite direction, towards the opponents’ goal.

                I got ahead as number 16 on the other team went to get the ball in his possession. Rodger noticed my location. We’d done this move countless times before.

                He shot the ball between the opponent’s legs in my direction. I stopped the ball with the inside of my foot, kicking it to James who stood near the goal.

                James caught it mid-air with his head, bouncing it straight up. As it fell down, all eyes watched as he raised his foot, connecting with it. The ball soared up, creating an arch that was dangerously high for this to work.

                It seemed as if it was in slow motion.

                Their goalie reached his hands up, jumping as if to stop the ball. He was just barely too late for it. The ball soared up over top of his finger tips, just brushing past them. We watched as it spun towards the net, banging sharply off the top bar.

                It rocketed back into play, heading straight towards me.

                But my eyes were distracted on something else.

                The cute little blonde sitting on the bleachers directly across from me, her body strained forward, eyes holding my own.

                The ball bounced painfully off the side of my head.

                I didn’t see what happened next as I was slammed into my side.

                I landed on the ground painfully as my team mates tackled me. I laughed, struggling to push them off. They kept piling on.

                The crowd roared.

                I slipped out from under them, laughing. I grabbed Rodger’s hand, pulling him free from the pit of victors.

                He linked his arm through mine, spinning us around, “We’re going to the State Cup! We’re going to the State Cup!”

                I laughed, singing the ridiculous tune with him.

                “We’re going to the State Cup! We’re going to the State Cup!”

                “Off the field, you idiots!” Coach called from the side, a broad grin spread across his lips. I tugged on Rodger’s arm, dragging him with me as we lead our team off the field.

                Our team gathered around our Coach, everyone grinning broadly. Coach could barely contain his excitement as he spoke.

                “We’re going to the state championship tournament.” He grinned.

                We all cheered.

                “Take the weekend off. Have a little fun. Not too much.” He warned, glancing at a few select people, “Practice is about to get a hell of a lot harder boys.”